Tinting Clear

IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,335Member ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in OHW Paints & Clears
Was wondering what @onehitwonder would suggest using to tint your clear? Some people just use a little black paint but wanted to ask your suggestion first. And, if that's okay, is using your black paint fine?

Thanks
Post edited by IceMaster on

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,887Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @IceMaster I use the OHW smoke candy clear. Works great I'm sure that's what they would suggest but maybe not. I like it alot though
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,335Member ✭✭✭✭
    Problem is, the Canadian supplier doesn't carry the OHW Candy Clear and it would likely cost me a fortune to have it shipped here.
    @IceMaster ok I see I've never tried the adding the black paint but I would like to know this too just in case I don't have the smoke clear 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 10,077Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I use Hot Hues charcoal from the local supplier. For the blue motorcycle we did I used House of Kolor oriental Blue. It worked fantastic.
    That blue bike looked fantastic 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,433Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Check you local automotive paint supplier for smoke/candy additives for your clear.
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,055Member ✭✭✭
    I go down to the local paint store and buy 1 or 2 oz. of automotive paint pigment. I usually mix it with intercoat, but you could mix it with clear. Since it's pigment, it doesn't take much and 2 oz. last forever.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,815Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Black is ok - our smoke is black, but ground down super fine to a candy powder grade, which gives it a much more even application. If you use boat paint, just go 10-15% and build your coats up slowly

Black is ok - our smoke is black, but ground down super fine to a candy powder grade, which gives it a much more even application. If you use boat paint, just go 10-15% and build your coats up slowly

Okay thanks for the info!

@onehitwonder or anyone else - if I use your inter coat clear to do my tinting, I assume I would let that completely dry just like paint, before I apply a clear coat over it? This will be my first time tinting
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,089Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @IceMaster Yes, essentially the inter coat is paint without pigment. you let it dry as you would paint. Tinting it is just adding a little pigment to it.
    @WileECoyote - perfect thank you!!
    edited April 2017
    @WileECoyote @onehitwonder or anyone, so I used OHW intercoat clear and tinted it with some OHW black. Tinting went fine but I don't know what the heck caused it, but when I was spraying, it sprayed all kinds of garbage onto the part with it. Even when I was cleaning out the gun, the little plastic filter in the gun had all kinds of goo on it that I couldn't get off. This gun is ALWAYS thoroughly cleaned after use so I'm assuming it must have been the intercoat clear that caused this. The pic below shows the little filter with all the gunk on it.
    So now my question is, because there is so much garbage in the tinting, how would you guys recommend I fix that? I know if I sand the junk out of the tinting that I likely would have to put another coat on after but I don't want to make it any darker. So I assume I would just put a light coat of intercoat clear with no tinting? Which scares me because it had to of been that stuff that caused this in the first place. If I just clear coat over all of it, because there is so much of it, won't it show through the clear?
    How would you guys recommend I fix this and proceed?

Thanks

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,089Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Did you strain your intercoat before you poured it into the cup?
    edited April 2017
    @WileECoyote - No because it's suppose to be just paint without color pigment. I don't strain my paint either and never get garbage like this. There wasn't gobs of crap in it when I poured it into the gun ??
    If its clear you wouldn't see it. Because the clear gobs would be clear too. You should filter EVERTHING that goes into the cup. Only use one cone filter (don't stack 3-4 up at a time) use a 60 mesh or so for metalic, and use 100-120 for clear. I am not saying this is the problem for sure... but it sure has the potential to be.
    And to repair the problem on the part, just bury it in clear, then sand it flat. If you scuff the tinted innercoat, you will lighten that area, and if you use clear over it (2-3 coats) it will just make it look better.
    Yep, and it's always good to strain your paint into the gun. The reason is, that paint can dry in the can around the lip etc. and fall into the paint has dried pieces. Like @WileECoyote says, just bury it in the clearcoat, and you'll be fine
    Trash can also come from the dried paint in the cup, dried paint in the gun, and also even the airline
    So what I did was, lightly sanded down the entire area knocking down the trash with 800 grit (knowing it would lighten it a bit) then mixed another batch of inter coat clear and tinting but this time lighter tint. Gave it one light coat, just enough to cover it again but not darken it much. This time it went on way better and looks like I've gotten past this. Next on to clear coat. Although I didn't see some of these answers until after I was done, I was skeptical about trying to bury it in the clear because of how much there was.

Appreciate the replies everyone, really appreciated and I learned a lot during this situation. Yes, I'll start straining EVERYTHING through filters from now on ;)
    edited April 2017
    Just wanted to share with everyone the outcome of this. Turned out great and as I said, was a learning experience for sure! Was my first full face helmet

edited April 2017
    Came out sick. I love that pattern
  • glitterglitter Posts: 14Member
    We love tinting or using candies
  • BEMOTORSPORTSBEMOTORSPORTS Posts: 178Member ✭✭
    thats awesome good work man 
  • abrantabrant Posts: 29Member
    that came out clean. looks really awesome