Soft Touch sprays like a dream

2»

Comments

• TheHanzoTheHanzo Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    @MidOhioHydrographics still a little flare on the latest but I can see each one getting flatter. I can't help but want to lay it on thick for coverage I've been spraying about 18in away the distance seems to help me out a little
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Member, Moderator Posts: 3,500 El Moderator
    TheHanzo said:

@MidOhioHydrographics still a little flare on the latest but I can see each one getting flatter. I can't help but want to lay it on thick for coverage I've been spraying about 18in away the distance seems to help me out a little

Are you spraying it over some other clear or just by itself?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 10,496 El Moderator
    TheHanzo said:

Wow that's really far... sounds like you just need to setup your gun to adjust. I would be worried about dry coat from that range, not to mention the material you're wasting in overspray.
    NotSoFast said:
    That could be it as well. I am using a low sheen clear as as base clear that could be glossing through??
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Member, Moderator Posts: 3,500 El Moderator
    edited March 2017
    TheHanzo said:

NotSoFast said:

TheHanzo said:

That could be it as well. I am using a low sheen clear as as base clear that could be glossing through??

Not sure. I have heard of people spraying it over flat clear.

But my point I was trying to address was that if you are spraying it over a clear, then you don't have to spray the soft touch heavy for "coverage" as opposed to spraying it by itself and trying to get it heavy enough to cover everything. I'd shoot it over a really flat clear to avoid any gloss and it will provide the protection and coverage, then just hit it a little more lightly with the soft touch for feel.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Administrator Posts: 14,052 El Jefe
    18" away? That clear would be dry before it even hit the part...
    18" away? That clear would be dry before it even hit the part...
    Caught me in a guestamation there
    Here is the latest one. Still a little gloss but it's getting better.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 10,496 El Moderator
    Still way glossy, brother. Does it feel like soft touch? I wonder if you're putting it on so light the semi-gloss clear is showing thru? Not a common problem, but first time for everything.
    It definitely has the texture of soft touch. I'm probably laying it on too thick still. Going to try and apply it by itself without a coat of clear underneath. Customer loves it but the would like to dial in that dead flat
  • Dinnetta_gobigbrainDinnetta_gobigbrain Member, Business Ninja Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    The soft touch is definitely a different product, because of the soft properties. You have to get the right amount without piling it on. A lot of people spray it on too thick because it is a one coat clear, so that throws them off a bit. That is why we recommend to put a coat of flat first. It's what I like to refer to as "a mental coat" of clear.

@TheHanzo you definitely don't want to be that far away from your part (and I know you just guesstimated there!). You want to be the same distance as you spray any other clear. Do you have the instructions that were sent with the clear? I'm posting them here also just in case. But it's a super clear! It has a tiny bit of sheen to it, but not like you are getting.

Maybe your matte agent is settled to the bottom also? Just a theory. Too thick and not shaken enough can cause a bit of the shine. In fact, Trey (he has taken over the painting here at the shop) did not shake the soft touch enough recently and it looked almost just like that. It felt a little sticky also - not wet sticky, but like rubbery sticky.

ANOTHER thing to consider is that you HAVE to have adequate airflow. That isn't just for this. Leave the air flow over the soft touch for about 20-30 minutes to be safe. This will allow the solvents to release from it in the timeframe that it needs.

Don't put too much hardener in it also. I know a guy that was putting a third more hardener in the clear thinking it would dry faster, but it just made it more glossy!

Just a couple troubleshooting things for you! It's truly an amazing product once you get it perfect. And, if the customer was happy with the look of it, then roll on!

Thanks @Dinnetta_gobigbrain you rock! I'm self taught on the spraying but getting there even when I'm off this stuff is still great
    Boom! That's what it should look like. Nice!!