Air Compressor

chappytnchappytn Member Posts: 23
Is there a general rule of thumb on the size of compressor that would be needed for a new hydro shop, also what is a recommended brand of paint gun. Any insight is greatly appreciated......

Comments

• GSPGSP Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    I bought the warwicks and use the 3m pps. Work great for the money and saves my satajet for cars and boats. As far as a compressor unless your spraying constantly around 10cfm's should do the job well. The more a compressor runs the more moisture you have to filter out. cool air is clean air, a painters best friend. Watch jim's video on high flow fittings, I smacked myself in the head when I tried them for the first time.
  • ShafferShaffer Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    I, too, use a whole line of Warwick guns with some Devilbiss ones thrown in here and there. Nothing fancy, I can lay a glass sheet with the 980. With that being said, we run two 80 gallon Kobalts, but are looking to upgrade to an industrial job very soon. We just got our air dryer system with heating and cooling, and we use Devilbiss high flow connections across the board. They are expensive but well worth it when using HVLP.
    Shaffer said:

I, too, use a whole line of Warwick guns with some Devilbiss ones thrown in here and there. Nothing fancy, I can lay a glass sheet with the 980. With that being said, we run two 80 gallon Kobalts, but are looking to upgrade to an industrial job very soon. We just got our air dryer system with heating and cooling, and we use Devilbiss high flow connections across the board. They are expensive but well worth it when using HVLP.

Those fittings really are worth their weight in gold. And co-sign I love that 980 for clear and the 904's for base coat and activator guns. Jim put me on to both as far as 2 kobalts thats if your running multiple guns or so fourth. To start a 60 gallon and air dryer combo from harbor freight will run you about 700$ I run a big IR now because of the cfm's needed for sand/soda blasting, but before that a ran a husky 80 gallon. Its all about cfm's figure out what your going to use and go from there.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Administrator Posts: 14,155 El Jefe
    We used a 80 gallon Husky for years until we got so busy it would not keep up anymore...so a 60 or 80 should be fine but make sure it's a 2 stage so it will keep up...otherwise you might suck it dry...now we have a 15hp 120 gallon with the 80 gallon hooked up as storage...that's 200 gallons on tap...wish I would have done it sooner...

• MasterjqxMasterjqx Member Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    i use a husky compressor like k2's
  • HardeightHardeight Member Posts: 584 ✭✭✭
    If you plan on doing any blasting, get something with continuous duty and the more CFM the better. Blasting devours your air supply. I have a Quincy 60 gallon 15 CFM @ 175 PSI. It is miles better than the 2 big box store compressors I murdered, but the more work I do the more I think I might have to supplement it one day.
    If you are just painting, you could get by with less CFM but if your business grows, you could outgrow that compressor.
    Buy once cry once.
    Hardeight said:

If you plan on doing any blasting, get something with continuous duty and the more CFM the better. Blasting devours your air supply. I have a Quincy 60 gallon 15 CFM @ 175 PSI. It is miles better than the 2 big box store compressors I murdered, but the more work I do the more I think I might have to supplement it one day.
    If you are just painting, you could get by with less CFM but if your business grows, you could outgrow that compressor.
    Buy once cry once.

+1
  • chappytnchappytn Member Posts: 23
    Great response! Very helpful info, a lot of variables to consider for sure.
    Jim you mentioned a shop walk around video, any idea when that might happen.
    Any body else care to share vide/pics of shop set up????
    Thats funny jim I've have the same set of ugly twins my self, I went to see if the were still there after i saw the pic.
    lol
    chappytn said:

I'm cleaning my tank and re-epoxying the floor, I had my race cars in the now hydro shop before hurricane sandy and I had fuel and oil in drums. lets just say after the 5 ft of water went away it left a coat of oil on everything. Theres parts of the concrete that I can't get epoxy to stay down on. Should have everything back together by next weekend. I'll post some pics to see what you guys think.

• ctrliquidartctrliquidart Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Our business is small right now we are using a 30gal Compressor from Harbor Freight with an Eastwood Dryer system works great for us. We do this because we Cater to the Skydiving community for Hydro Dipping
  • RDSHydroRDSHydro Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭
    I use a 60 gallon 13cfm 150 psi. Its more than enough for what I need.
    chappytn said:

Soon...I have a couple of other projects happening for the forum right now but I am on it...
  • MassHydrographicsMassHydrographics Member Posts: 26
    This is my rotary compressor that supports my body shop It was $6500 new. Notice how it is covered in oil. This happend after I paid $1200 to stop it from overheating. Quote to fix the misterious oil leak was also over $1000. The oil/coolant this takes costs almost $400 for 5gal but only needs 3gal. So a regular maintenance is $800. When this compressor is operational it is worth every penny when it is not it will drive you to drink.
    ouch on the service fees, rotaries are serious,nothing pushes air like them. I got a good deal on a lightly used IR almost the same as the one in jims pic, Does the job until we buy another building
    rotaries are worth the money tho they can fill a 100 gallon tank in like 25 seconds?
    Yeah they're definitely worth the money. It keeps up with 4 techs using blowers wide open. I'm guessing my problem is the company that services it or the compressor was just simply made on a Monday.
    i had issues with my old rotarie... it came with a auto body shop i bought out when i started mine... needless to say it caught on fire because of a oil leak... you may want to get that checked out.. i didnt want to replace the motor, they quoted me 4200$... so i cut the tank in half and turned it into a smoker....
    Wow hopefully nothing else caught on fire. I have a different company coming on Friday until then I've been using a compressor similar to the IR in Jim's pic but from the 60s. She never let's me down.
  • BlueArmourBlueArmour Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
    Here is a great video to help with some of the compressor and painting questions that come into play when dipping.

• CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Member Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shaffer said:

Shaffer i am going to use a warwick 904 as a second activator gun. Could you give me some advice on how to set it up? I know the best thing to do is play with it but if you have a set up that works for you i would like to know? Using a 60 gallon kobalt with 20ft hose. Thanks
  • ShafferShaffer Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    blaster said:

Shaffer said:

Shaffer i am going to use a warwick 904 as a second activator gun. Could you give me some advice on how to set it up? I know the best thing to do is play with it but if you have a set up that works for you i would like to know? Using a 60 gallon kobalt with 20ft hose. Thanks
    Well, I don't use Warwick as my activator gun. I use a Devilbiss 1.8 and a Devilbiss 1.5. The 1.8 is an old primer gun that is just ridiculously stupid to even consider using, anyway. I sent it to Jim about 3 years ago, and he made fun of it. LOL..kidding....I did send it, and while he said I'd be better with something else, he was able to work through the issue I was having of worm trailing MultiCam. Regardless, your 904 is super overkill for activator, BUT set it up once correctly, and it should allow for pretty painless activator application. First, let's get the questions out of the way. What tip is on that 904? Are you spraying from a hose directly connected to the compressor? Are you using standard 1/4" fittings?
    No i have a regulator/cheater valve.lol yes 1.4 tip.I use a devilbiss plus for activator now but i have two different activator's twn's 3502 & their NJM and just trying to make it easier than cleaning out the gun each time i switch. Was just thinking since i have a extra gun I'm not using..why not? But if its a pain in the a.. I'll just hold off.
    If you are busy enough to think about having 2 guns? You should have 2 guns...

If you are busy enough to think about having 2 guns? You should have 2 guns...

Well thats not the case at all right now.lol Your so right.I have other issues to deal with for now. Oh well thanks any way guy's.
    ^:)^
  • 1shane1shane Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    Im going to use the gun Jims giving away as soon as he ships to me
  • FluidMotionHGFluidMotionHG Member Posts: 24
    those were some great videos
    Jim bud would love to see a Video of you showing us your Compressor set up and explain it to us why it works best for dipping.

Jim bud would love to see a Video of you showing us your Compressor set up and explain it to us why it works best for dipping.

I can do that...