Liquid print activator

ar151974ar151974 Posts: 21Member

So I started this venture with a diy kit a that's what got me interested. So after some research I decided to use OHW to simplify the process. And to be honest ive had nothing but issues since. Im  using activator from liquid print could that be my issue. I cant dial down the volume much more then what I have and im still having issues with the pattern breaking up or just running off the piece. Any suggestion should I use a different activator and if so what do you recommend?

Comments

• CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Posts: 3,047Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    @ar151974 I've dipped around 10/12 different items using OHW and i haven't had one issue at all.Breaking up and running off sounds like TO MUCH activator. I've never used that activator but i just bet with less activator & quicker passes you can make this happen.Sounds like your passes are slow dumping a lot of activator. OHW is made for hydrographic's so i'm almost positive its not the base coat.Let a few of the other guy's with more experience chime in and see what they think.This is my first time giving advice so i hope i'm right..lmao
    :D
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,958Administrator El Jefe
    Pattern breaking up can be too little activator...it comes from spraying just enough activator down to liquefy the film but not enough to fully activate it. So what happens next is that the activator evaporates and the film turns back into a solid ink and then cracks.
    If you are talking about the ink deteriorating in the water? That is too high a temperature.
    Pattern running off the piece is usually too much activator.

If I had to guess, I would say you are using a 1.4 tip...that's why your results are all over the place...
  • ar151974ar151974 Posts: 21Member
    yes I am using a 1.4 tip and your right im all over the place. What size tip do your recommend. From everything im reading im sure its getting my activator gun set up right I don't think it OHW. Ive watched all of K2 youtube vids and just  cant seem to dial it in.

I take that back Jim I am using a 1.8 if I remember right I heard you mention in one of your video that what you where using.

Well make sure which size it is and then we can start figuring out what is going on.
    It's 1.8 I dbl checked it. I adjusted it to your setting on the video pulled trigger all the way in turned needle till it hit the trigger then half a turn. I'm going to play around with it tonight and see what kinda results I get. I'm dipping in 92F water.
    Drop the temperature down to around 88 degrees...92 is a little too warm if you ask me...
    On ill give that a try thanks jim
    Your welcome...let us know how things are going...

well I tried her again tonight hit it with activator and it wasn't glassing over with the first pass so I hit it again with second light pass here is what I got. I dipped it at about 40 degrees and the pattern didn't wrap around fully and started running was even coming of as I was rinsing. tried the second piece one pass the print didn't glass over but looked sand blasted so to speak' that one hit pretty good although it missed a cpl spots. I think I just dipped at a wrong angle. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

• CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics Posts: 3,047Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
     @K2Concepts [Jim] Said go with 88degree water temp so why did you drop down to 40 degrees? If you did a 60 second soak at 40 deg thats just not enough.The first pick at the top of the item has like five little strips of film that actually looks just like what Jim is talking about when he said activator evaporates and the film turns back into a solid ink then cracks.[atleast thats what i see.] But bro you should just follow jims instructions if you want to get pass this. Good luck
    Post edited by CoastalHydrographics on
    Lol that should be 40 degree angle.
    First picture is too much activator. Second picture is you not back taping the edges and the water beating you at that void.
  • KentCustomDippingKentCustomDipping Posts: 42Member ✭✭
    Yep as Jim said too much activator. Also I found that if you let that film expand too much then it can also go just like you have in the pic. I had to reduce the size of my dams to stop film expanding too much and ended up with a great result
    BSA1.jpg 131.7K
    Ya think I have my activator dialed down now having allot better luck with your guys advice. Now need to work on technique and learn when to back tape etc. should have all my parts for this project done tonight I hope. just have to redip the buffer tube. Do you guys normally paint over a bad dip or strip it back down. I've been stripping down so I dont end up with extra layers building up. If you do strip it what do you guys use.
    I just scuff it with 500 and then rebase coat...
  • Sac_HydroSac_Hydro Posts: 1,050Member ✭✭✭✭
    ar151974 said:
     Do you guys normally paint over a bad dip or strip it back down. I've been stripping down so I dont end up with extra layers building up. If you do strip it what do you guys use.

If you do wind up having to strip it, try brake clean. It works awesome and does not leave a residue. You can pretty much spray the paint and pattern right off your part. When your done it's degreased and ready to prep.

Sac_Hydro said:
    ar151974 said:
     Do you guys normally paint over a bad dip or strip it back down. I've been stripping down so I dont end up with extra layers building up. If you do strip it what do you guys use.

If you do wind up having to strip it, try brake clean. It works awesome and does not leave a residue. You can pretty much spray the paint and pattern right off your part. When your done it's degreased and ready to prep.

Thanks ill have to try that

Ya did allot of stripping yesterday thought I had my activator dialed in. Dbl dipped a ar 15 lower and it turned out nice. tried to finish the upper and buffer tube with total failure ran out of paint so im done till more comes in. I also ordered some hydrovator  going to try a different activator and see if that helps. Sad part is with MyDipIt kit I had no issues everything I dipped turned out pretty well. Now try to move up to a more perfessional set up and I cant get it dialed in. Ive noticed with OHW the paint always seems a bit soft is this normal for this paint?
    I always let it dry 24 hours before we dip...helps us a little...and wait 24 hours after dipping to clear coat...sometimes longer...
    Oh ill give that a shot ive been giving it about 2 hrs they claim good to dip in a bout 30 min but that just seems to soon.
    I'm sure some can but for us? Works better this way...
    could my spray gun be some of the issues im using a cheap Harbor Freight HVLP gun
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,808Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    the cost of the gun means nothing if you know how to use it. Our paint does NOT require the film to be glassed over. If it's melting the paint, then reduce the number of passes, or increase the speed of the passes. Check Jim's latest vids where I show gun set up - this is crucial for activator guns also. Get that HF gun set up properly, and you'll be fine
    The HB ones tend to leak a little more than most is why we recommend you buy a little bit better quality gun...
    Thanks again guys. I think I've watched all of Jim's videos and have set up my guns as recommended I think. the painting world is new to me so it's a learning experience. Soon as I get my OHW order here I'll try it again
    well got a fresh can of OHW and different activator dipped two parts perfect. finally feeling some success
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,808Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    great news - always feel free to call me for help
  • gusmartin1994gusmartin1994 Posts: 18Member
    @ar151974 so are you thinking it was the activator I’m using the liquid print activator and was having trouble as well.