Activator Gun

blackanodizeblackanodize Posts: 68Member ✭✭
I am looking a buying three new guns. I was going to get a Devilbiss GPI for activator and two Iwata LPH400-LV for base and clear coats. I found a good deal on the Iwata's and was wondering how they compare to the Devilbiss GPI for spraying activator. Looking to get all three guns with 1.4 tip.

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,089Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    The Devilbiss GPI is by FAR the best atomization I have seen on such a thin fluid like activator. Iwatas are great guns, we use them for clear and some bases. But hands down, the GPI for activator.
  • blackanodizeblackanodize Posts: 68Member ✭✭
    What is the difference between the Devilbiss GPI and GTI and I know the GPI is great for spraying activator but how about the GTI?
  • AlanAlan Posts: 193Member ✭✭✭
    Do you mean the GTI Pro? If so, that is a great gun. I have two Tekna Pro-lites, essentially they're the same guns as the GTI Pro; they are excellent at spraying base/clear. I also own the Devilbiss GPI, which is designated as my activator gun.
    The GPI is marketed as an "all purpose" spray gun but is not built quite to the same standard as the GTI ... which is reflected in the price difference.
    However, to try and answer your question: I have not felt the need to spray activator with my Pro-lites, my GPI fits the bill nicely in that respect but I have little doubt that the GTI would indeed produce a very suitable spray pattern, if used as an activator gun.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,988Administrator El Jefe
    GTi is a great gun...I have used both and I still think the GPi has a better pattern...just slightly...not enough to trade in a GTi so if you already have one? Then keep it...but if not? You owe it to yourself to try the GPi...it's a pretty amazing spray pattern at just 1 BAR...crazy...
  • kendall2kendall2 Posts: 1Member
    Hello,
    I realize that this is an old post but I am in the process of choosing a spray gun. I am new to spraying and don't have a business. I have read positive comments on the GTI and GPI guns. We will be painting a car, some white cabinets and doors and also restoring some old furniture so we'll need to spray clear coat. We have a tight budget. The GTI is a bit out of my price range but I'm a perfectionist. For my purposes, is the GPI good enough or should I spring for the GTI? Are there other guns that I should be looking at? What about the FLG5?

Is the GPI available in the U.S. or would I need to order from the U.K.? Where should I buy the tips and which sizes?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 10,077Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    If you’re looking for a clear coat gun? The Iwata LPH400 is hard to beat and reasonably priced. The GPI is great for activator, and I have not used it for clear. We use Iwata Supernovas for clear and the LPH400-LVX for paint and absolutely love them. The LPH400 is great for clear and base both.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,089Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    GPI is the best activator gun. But there are MANY guns out there that will work very well for clear. A mid priced gun should suffice for your needs IF you can set it up well. Unfortunately tip size is dictated by the size of the pattern and amount of material you can/need to put on in one pass. A car is typically a 1.5 to 1.8 size, while furniture with lots of area to pool clear may need a 1.3 or 1.4. Again, this will come down to how well you are able to set up your own gun.