Best way to hydro-dip to Cerakote according to the Cerakote website...

Comments

• HardeightHardeight Posts: 584Member ✭✭✭
    That whole report seems hokey to me.
    Why would the paint hardness change after fully cured?

And all they discuss is the Cerakote performance. We don't see any pictures of how the dip took. I think they just got tired of people asking them how to dip to it so they threw something together quickly.
  • CarolinaGunGraphicsCarolinaGunGraphics Posts: 52Member
    yeah i just don't see how dip would last on anything if its not cleared.
  • SmittySmitty Posts: 731Member ✭✭✭✭
    We've been working at it for some time and never got a good finish out of it. I'm to the point that even if it works I'm not going to do it for the same reasons I dont use OHW anymore... It's just too much hassle. It all requires some special setup and I dont need to change what I'm currently doing to support something else. Maybe on a special case, but for the most part, I'm not dipping to Cerakote.. I'd dip and use Cerakote on some parts... but I wont support it here.
  • SmittySmitty Posts: 731Member ✭✭✭✭
    Not to mention the cost of the stuff, just to possibly screw up a Cerakote job trying to dip to it...
  • preedpreed Posts: 399Member ✭✭✭✭
    they probably feel a little left out. i seen the stuff they posted. i still dont believe it. cerakote is to smooth and too hard to burn in to. again it is my opinion that its the clear coat that holds the film on to any cerakote job. and i agree with steve thats quite a proceedure only to have to redo it. im also wondering how would you touch it up if you had to? after cure with paint? after the dip before full cure with cerakote?
  • MB_CustomsMB_Customs Posts: 55Member
    Hi guys, I realize this is a 4 yr old thread but if anyone else is still reading up on this subject as I am, to be clear the report is about mc-161 air dry clear matte OVER hydro, not dipping over oven cure. Ive done a few with this over clear and candies as well and it takes very good and really increases the durability compared to just clear, especially over the 1k stuff I use. Dipping over coating is well documented to be a real pain so I’m gonna stay away from that, I’m just a hobbyist doing stuff out of my garage on some guns I built, but really love all the possibilities that dipping brings to the table.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,887Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started out using the mc160 and mc161 a couple yrs ago and I think there is better clears out there especially for the price. Nanochem makes really good clears that I prefer over cerakote air dry. Their oven cure is a great product but I think they dropped the ball on the air dry. Just my opinion
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 667Member ✭✭✭
    Yeah the air dry clear is no good