Another advice please

HidrografikaHidrografika Member Posts: 15

Heya! This is my first full Nike job, excited and scared. I’ll be doing the actual dipping in a little over than week but I’d like suggestions and dips with pieces like this - mainly front center piece. It’s going to be nerve wrecking as it’s carbon fiber but please advise me on angles and tape film or not? What to backtape and what not to? I was thinking this piece would actually work wonderfully if dipped like most Harley fronts are done - straight down, one dip and backtape everything that can be backtaped?
this tank would most definitely be a two dip job for me, what’s the trick for hitting the perfect alignment?

thanks in advance, I’m very much excited to hear your tips!

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 7,866 El Moderator
    That is a really bad part to be trying things out on. Yes you need to back tape, probably need to cut slits in the tape. Pattern is going to stretch up the sides, and the water is going to beat you all over the place so you are going to have to tape up the sides.

The alignment on the tank is going to come down to stretch and how well you can align. I might put some water or a balloon of water in the tank so it's easier to sink.
  • HidrografikaHidrografika Member Posts: 15
    That is a really bad part to be trying things out on. Yes you need to back tape, probably need to cut slits in the tape. Pattern is going to stretch up the sides, and the water is going to beat you all over the place so you are going to have to tape up the sides. The alignment on the tank is going to come down to stretch and how well you can align. I might put some water or a balloon of water in the tank so it's easier to sink.
    Im not a complete newbie, I wouldn’t say I’m trying things out per se. I feel confident I just want to do the best approach on the first go, not second. 👍🏻

I’ve heard that some people fill tank with water, is it safe for the tank? How do you do it without damaging anything?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 7,866 El Moderator
    Water in and of itself do not harm a tank as long as you can completely dry it out.

You can use water balloons, I have people tell me that condoms work the best.... Your results may very.

Simply filling the tank with something that negates the buoyancy of the tank and makes it easier to push it into the water. If you are afraid of getting the inside wet... you don't have much choice.
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Member Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭
    We put trash bag in the tank and fill it with water. Then tie it/ tape it shut. As for trying to align carbon fiber on that tank, never gonna line up perfectly. I would think about putting a strip or something down the center to separate the 2 dips.