What and Where to buy Activator A?

Hello, I have hydrographic blanks with instructions that require activator A. Where Can I order Activator A here in the USA? Can I make it myself? How do you apply it to the film, with a spray gun, or just a squirt bottle? It seems there's not a lot of information on this and hope someone here can help me

Comments

• studebakerstudebaker Member, Business Ninja Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jaysond2004 DipPros.com stocks it in rattle cans.... It may not be on his website yet, but I am 100% sure he has it in stock. You may have to email him for it.
  • jaysond2004jaysond2004 Member Posts: 7
    Is it the same as  fixative? Such as these sprays?
    Indeed the cans are labeled "Fixative". The object of fixative A is to hold the pigmented particulates in place while the ink is being liquified and to act as a carrier for them when they are being transferred to the substrate.

There is a likelihood that those cans of "fixative" may melt properly when exposed to hydrographic activator. There is only one way to tell.... :-)

PS the main use for those fixatives in the picture are to keep chalk drawing and similar crafts from getting smudged. I do encourage you to try them. Especially that workable fixatif from Krylon.
    Please! Post your results to help us finally get a definitive answer. This question has been hanging over the forum like a will-o' -the wisp for years now.

Here's my results using sample spoons.seems like thr fixative I  used
    krylon fixative workble maybe reacting to "Hydrovator". The last spoons with with no labels, I  placied the film 2 mins in the water or until film is nice and smooth. Then sprayed activator, wait for 30 seconds. 

In the end similar results, micro cracks. Note that for all of them I taped the film on all four corners because in my experience, this  film would just break apart. 
    Now we are getting the picture! (But not necessarily from the pictures). You declared that you waited two minutes for the hydration cycle. What was the water temperature during that time? 90 degrees? Why did you wait thirty seconds dwell time? All your activator would probably have evaporated off by then. You said you taped all four sides because if you don't the film will drift apart.... That's because of over hydration. Circle back to problem one.... When experimenting, only change one thing at a time.

The "microcracks" are from the film being too stretchy form over hydration and the now unactivated ink/fixative won't stretch with the film because it hardened back up.