Clear Coat Peeling

IceMasterIceMaster Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭
Is it possible that certain clear coats just don't mechanically bond well with the hydrographics paint? I've never had an issue with clear coat peeling at all but had two cases recently. BOTH, just after switching to a new clear coat. I'm using Aqualac 35 paint so I know that's not the issue. And it's not the entire area on either piece, just small areas. Paint and film stick just fine.

Issue with the new clear coat or something other?

Thanks

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 7,873 El Moderator
    Were you able to remove those panels to dip them? Sometimes working in the corner, cleaner or contamination stays there longer, causing issues. Was there a little stress there when reassembling them and caused a chip? Possible contamination?

Anything is possible, but I have never found a clear that didn't bite to Aqualac.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 10,560 El Moderator
    edited April 12
    Usually clear does great biting into Aqualac, but what did you switch to and why did you switch?
  • IceMasterIceMaster Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭
    So, I had to switch clear coats because the local place I buy from decided to no longer carry the brand I was using. I switched to a brand called Wanda but I think we may have discovered the problem. When I switched, I still had lots of hardener left, so they told me to use that hardener with the new clear coat. (said it would be compatible). But after talking to the main guy there yesterday, he said I shouldn't be mixing the two and that may be causing the issues.

I really hope this is the issue because I've racked my brain trying to figure out why, all of a sudden.
    @WileECoyote - It's not a panel, it's a small louver on the hood of a car.

Lesson learned, NEVER mix one brand hardener with a different brand clear coat.

Thanks for the replies you two!!
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 7,873 El Moderator
    "I have no vested interest in this project, and with my very limited experience I think it SHOULD be fine"

I have learned the hard way as well my friend...
  • IceMasterIceMaster Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭

"I have no vested interest in this project, and with my very limited experience I think it SHOULD be fine"

I have learned the hard way as well my friend...

I didn't get to hear the "limited experience" though......lol