Tank Cleanliness

Hey everyone, I just had a couple questions about tank cleanliness. I built my own dip tank not long ago (150 gallon) (approx. max dip of 3' x 4'). It has heaters and pumps and filters so it stays at temp 24/7 and is also stays clear and clean without much maintenance.

My one question here lately has been directed towards the activator. Can you "over activate" your tank and have to much activator in the water to the point where it will have an impact on your dips. If I had to guess I'd say I've put around 20-30oz of activator into my tank. I'm planning on draining it once the weather warms up in a few months, but wasn't sure if that was something i should be concerned about.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• FontyscustomsFontyscustoms Member Posts: 26
    It is possible and there are some threads about this on here in the search bar, but from my experience, it takes a LOT of activator to get to that point as most of it evaporates off.  If you aren't seeing the film behave weirdly when it is laid on the water, you are generally fine.  I change my water once every two months or so.  Some of the other guys on here might have more insight than that.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 7,760 El Moderator
    Activator evaporates off first, and the majority is gone in a minute or so. There are people that spray gallons of activator in a week without issue. If you are concerned, just run the pump and it will work it's way out
  • studebakerstudebaker Member, Business Ninja Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @WileECoyote is 100% correct. Oil floats on top of water, and the activator evaporates 80 times faster than water. So, you concern is really trying to figure out why a dip went bad and you are trying to rule this out. :-)

Even if the water were to retain activator it still wouldn't cause a problem, because the only thing touching the water is the PVA Film, not the ink. The hypothetical water/activator would not have a chance to affect the ink and cause problems.

Touch some activator to a piece of dry film on your table and the only thing it will affect is the ink, not the film. The PVA film carrier can literally be submerged in activator and be pulled out intact hours later. Only water affects this particular formulation of hydrographic PVA film.
  • baumee01baumee01 Member Posts: 13
    @studebaker that's a really good point that I didn't even think about... As long as the activator doesn't have an impact on the PVA film then I dont even seen a need for it to be a concern... Guess ill continue to use the same water as i have been for the last 5 months (going for a record).