Goopy Excess Film

Hello all,

First time posting. I just recently started a manufacturing position at an outdoor company and we do a great deal of camouflage dips. We use an old triangle conveyor with a continuous flow tank and a roller delivery system for the film/activator. We get great patterns from the dip, but we are having issues with the goopy excess starch/film sticking to the part and not coming off during the automated rinse. I am considering a mechanical wiper system to clear the remaining film material from the surface of the water above the parts while they are submerged, with the hope that when the parts resurface through clean water, there won't be any goop on the surface to stick to them. Has anyone encountered these issues or have any thoughts? Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
BowGuy

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 10,489 El Moderator
    We had experienced this a bit on our tank, and having an employee w a garden hose lightly spray the film from the surface of the water before the part pulls up through,
    , or your suggestion of a wiper to clear the film, would work great. Then we have the guys running the dip tank also spray the parts with a hose before they enter the automatic conveyor, just to get the chunks off.
  • studebakerstudebaker Member, Business Ninja Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A small nozzle just under the surface pointing back just before the part rises out of the water will hasten the residual PVA clearing that critical area. I would experiment with "Ice maker" size waterlines spaced along both side of the tank. Even two lines per side if necessary.

And Welcome to the Forum!
  • BowGuyBowGuy Member Posts: 3
    great recommendations, i will definitely be looking more into these ideas!
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 7,897 El Moderator
    As long as your paint adhesion is good, you can get a bit more aggressive with your spray. We got some higher pressure nozzles that created a fan pattern that we could spray over the parts by hand. Very quick as long as the PVA is soft.