Phase converter

PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Member Posts: 740 ✭✭✭
I have the opportunity to get a super deal on a kaeser 5hp 3 phase compressor. Unfortunately like most I don't have 3 phase in my shop. After looking around online I came across phase converters and was wondering if any of you had any experience with them? I am waiting to hear back from a friend/electrician just curious if anyone had used them before. http://www.gohz.com/5hp-vfd

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 7,591 El Moderator
  • studebakerstudebaker Member, Business Ninja Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Member Posts: 740 ✭✭✭
    The converter im looking at is only about $300. I have no problem buying one just wanted to see if anyone had experience with them. I went and picked up the compressor this morning. Ill have a few months to play around with it before my new shop is built and up and running.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 10,376 El Moderator
    Check the amperage on the compressor. I have never used a VFD phase converter, but have built my own from a pony motor. To summarize how that works, you are Basically turning a stand alone 3 phase pony motor with 220v, and using it to generate electricity on its 3rd leg of power, then you run standard 220v plus that generated 3rd leg to the machine. If that VFD works, you’ll have to let me know. I have a 5hp table saw that I use mine on, and it’s kind of a pain.
  • studebakerstudebaker Member, Business Ninja Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3
    Ok, I use a Pony Motor to run my 3 phase Vertical Mill, and I have to turn it on before I turn on the mill. Now an air compressor turns on and off with a pressure switch, so my question is, are you willing to finagle a switching system that will turn on your VFD panel just a second before the air compressor kicks in and turn it off when the pressure switch switches off the compressor motor? Knowing that these two electrical apparatuses need to be on separate circuits? Or is a $215 motor versus a $300 VFD Panel with separate circuitry and switching looking a little easier/cheaper in the long run?

There is the option of leaving the VFD Panel running 24 hours and consuming electricity the whole time.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 10,376 El Moderator
    Why could he not just leave it on the whole time while he's working in the shop? Doesn't have to be 24 hours, but when I'm in my wood shop, I leave my 10hp motor running the whole time for the few hours I'm in there working. Just cut power to the VFD, then turn it on when you enter the shop. Plus that VFD can't be pulling much compared to the pony motor option.

I would also run the VFD 3-phase to an outlet that you could plug other 3-phase equipment into if needed in the future. Say a 3-phase wood planer is for sale at an auction. You could buy it knowing you could run it, while others don't have the capability. That's exactly how I got my big 5hp cabinet table saw for $800, like new. Spent $100 on a 10hp 3-phase motor I found on craigslist, and made my phase converter. I also found a cheap 3-phase compressor I can now run off the same outlet. And yeah, I just leave the pony motor running while I'm spraying, then turn it off after I'm done. Compressor kicks on/off as needed.
  • SpinnerSpinner Member Posts: 380 ✭✭✭
    edited August 3
    For those of us without the industrial knowledge, the new single phase motor is a better option, imo.
    Although, I did buy a static phase converter For my spray booth which came with a 3 phase motor. The eBay listing said the booth was single phase, so I bought it. Turned out to be 3 phase. And another issue was the switch box on the spray booth kept "tripping off" after just a few minutes of running. This turned out to be "the heaters" in the switch box were not rated for this motor. It was a fairly easy fix, but with used equipment, ya just don't know whatcha don't know, ya know?
  • SpinnerSpinner Member Posts: 380 ✭✭✭
    edited August 3

Here's thetthe one i installed on the spray booth - a static phase converter... Along with the warning sheet.🤨

But this could be a completely different set up than what is needed for a compressor???
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Member Posts: 740 ✭✭✭
    I was think more on the lines of what midohio was saying. Walk in turn on vdf then fire the compressor. Turn off the vdf when im done for the day
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 7,591 El Moderator
    The VFD draw is going to be minimal in comparison to the pony motor.