Ammo cans

Hey guys!

My name is Austin Wright and i’m pretty new to dipping. I’ve been dipping for about a year and some change. I was reading the forums and realized most post about ammo cans are from 2016 back.

I just wanted to know if anyone has any tips and tricks to dip these. What techniques are working the best for everyone. The do’s and don’t when messing with these items. 

I really appreciate any and all input. Thank you! 

Comments

• preedpreed Member Posts: 407 ✭✭✭✭
    I messed around with them once. I remember I didnt like it... lol... i bought 12 did one and gave the rest away
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 7,714 El Moderator
    Those would be a HUGE pain to dip. 
  • ForsiForsi Member Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
    We did some ammo cans back in the day and they are a pain. We made sure to use a 'busy' pattern with no tight registration and did the lid as a dip and then did the can itself as two dips. We tried rolling the can itself and doing the lid separate, but I was never happy with the results around the edges so we resorted to doing a double-dip to cover the can area. They are a lot of work and it is hard to find customers willing to pay for all the labor involved to do them cleanly so we got out of that niche unless we did them for our own personal use.
  • PristineKreationsPristineKreations Member Posts: 23
    Forsi said:

We did some ammo cans back in the day and they are a pain. We made sure to use a 'busy' pattern with no tight registration and did the lid as a dip and then did the can itself as two dips. We tried rolling the can itself and doing the lid separately, but I was never happy with the results around the edges so we resorted to doing a double-dip to cover the can area. They are a lot of work and it is hard to find customers willing to pay for all the labor involved to do them cleanly so we got out of that niche unless we did them for our own personal use.

@Forsi I think they are going to be a pain too. Especially from what everyone is saying. I have a dude who essentially wants to mass-produce them, but was talking about getting them done for $80-$90. I'm just not sure if it's worth the time and effort for that money.
  • studebakerstudebaker Member, Business Ninja Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Austin, my two cents worth... Be sure this isn't one of those kinds of guys that promises a "whole bunch of production units" but first I need you to do this first "prototype" really cheap.
    Austin, my two cents worth... Be sure this isn't one of those kinds of guys that promises a "whole bunch of production units" but first I need you to do this first "prototype" really cheap.
    @studebaker the gentleman said he would pay full price for the prototypes/samples as well. My thing is, is $80-$90 worth it?
    If you could do 25 cans per week, that's a $2000.00 per week income. I can do lots of good stuff with an extra $2000 per week. And yes, I agree with everybody else they are a pain in the butt to dip, especially the top with the non-removable handle. And be sure to make him understand that the bottom won't be decorated, just painted.

I am glad you are contemplating the value of $80 per can. Some folks will just agree to $15 per yeti cup just to have work....
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 7,714 El Moderator
    @PristineKreations Comes down to your cost to produce. If it costs you 3 hours of labor to produce and your components are $10 then I would say yes (thats over $20 per hour for your labor)

But I am guessing they are going to be more than that... so do your homework before you get tied into a contract
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 10,461 El Moderator
    edited July 14
    We've made good money the last 2 years on parts that are a pain in the ... to dip. They're more complicated than that... they're large polyethylene panels that require flame treatment, adhesion promoter, masking, dipping, masking, repainting, dipping the other side, then topcoat. And we do them for $96 each. It's all in the prep, tooling, processes, and streamlining efficiency. We are doing 52 of those panels in an typical day around our other production... on one dip tank with a 88" dip area (but with a dip arm and automated activation), one paint booth. I have 8 guys full time right now. It's all in timing and efficiency.
    Post edited by MidOhioHydrographics on
    Cha Ching! Now 25 more per week... please.
  • smedlinsmedlin Member, Business Ninja Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PristineKreations Did you do the box itself in 2 dips?

And yea.. that's a darn fine job. Looks really good.

Cha Ching! Now 25 more per week... please.

@studebaker I wish brother! i'm trying to get into a Doctoral program right now lol.
    smedlin said:

@PristineKreations Did you do the box itself in 2 dips?

And yea.. that's a darn fine job. Looks really good.

@smedlin Yeah, I did the box in two dips, then the lid, and then the handle. I appreciate the kind words boss, i'm just out here trying to be as good as the rest of you!
  • smedlinsmedlin Member, Business Ninja Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 dips total.

But really more work than that, since the box is double dipped, it has to be prepped (tapped) off before each dip.

If it was a "one-and-done" client/job.. $90 would be way to low.

But.. I was in the same situation. For about a year and a half, I had a gig with a guy making welding helmets. (He went thru some personal issues and closed his shop). I did about 150 helmets.

It was anywhere from 5 a month to 10 a month, more during xmas. By no means production work.. but I gave him a big discount because of his repeat business.
    smedlin said:

4 dips total.

But really more work than that, since the box is double dipped, it has to be prepped (tapped) off before each dip.

If it was a "one-and-done" client/job.. $90 would be way to low.

But.. I was in the same situation. For about a year and a half, I had a gig with a guy making welding helmets. (He went thru some personal issues and closed his shop). I did about 150 helmets.

It was anywhere from 5 a month to 10 a month, more during xmas. By no means production work.. but I gave him a big discount because of his repeat business.

@smedlin I agree 100%. He is supposed to be a big distributor out here doing something for the weed dispensaries. He gave me 5 off the back, so we'll see what's to come.
  • ForsiForsi Member Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
    That turned out very nice and 4 dips is how we used to do them. I hope this project bears some profitable fruit for you - they are definitely a lot of work when you factor in the prep, multiple dips, finishing, etc. I hope it works out in your favor. Looks great!
    An ammo can would hold a LOT of weed.