Film condition

So I have tried searching and looking through post trying to find what film should look and act like off the roll. But not finding much.
I know all films are different but how should a film act or lay when rolling off the tube? 
I keep my film on the rolls and in the bag (not sealed) 60-70 degrees and around 50-55% humidity. 
Most of the films are tough to roll out and want to curl up and are difficult to handle.
i tape 2 sides of the film just to get them to lay flat. And when cutting the film with nice scissors some even rip instead of cutting. 
Maybe I am over thinking this but watching some of jims videos he can grab the film one handed and put it on the water not taped. 
Does this make much difference
in the dip? 

Comments

• SpinnerSpinner Member Posts: 380 ✭✭✭
    Yes, they can all act differently. Even day to day if the humdity isn't controlled.
    I store.my film in a climate controlled part of the shop and roll out what I need and can dip in just 15 to 20 minutes. The film can go from stiff to limp in that short amount of time...like when your with smedlins mom.

Taking care of your film while stored is very important. I have a vacuum sealer and bought a roll of plastic bag tubing from Uline. Seal it up with the desicant to keep the humidity low.

When rolling the film out on the cutting table, I tape the end down all the way across the cutting board, then roll out the length need. Then roll out a strip of tape across at that mark. A razor blade run across the length of the tape frees your piece of film. You should cut the tape down it's center line. This will give you the next piece already taped and cuts your tape expense in half.

To get the film from the bench all the way to my dip shop, I place it in a "folder" I made out of two pieces of 1/8" hardboard with a hinge made with packing tape. This not only keeps the film flat, but protects it from humidity. I just take it out of the folder one piece at a time as needed.

Some films just want to roll and are hard to control. Creasing it diagonally from corner to corner just before placing it on the water can help stiffen it up.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 7,591 El Moderator
    Yeah, try keeping your film sealed as much as possible. You are going to notice a dramatic difference in it's function
  • thebarnarsenalthebarnarsenal Member Posts: 56
    so the film rolls up worse when it’s humidity is high?  Just trying to find the best setting to keep my film at. 
    No, not necessarily.  Some films are just "curly" and don't want to behave... they come like that. Other times, if it's over hydrated by humidity it becomes very limp and doesn't perform right when placed on the water. This can happen very quickly on a humid day even if you store it properly. That's why I don't prepare much more than I can use in about 20-30 minutes.

If the film over humidifies then dries back out...there is a good chance it won't work. The film needs to be stored properly in a climate controlled space. This can happen even before you receive it from vendors that don't give a damn... That's why I now buy from sponsors of this forum exclusively. It's hit and miss with other retailers.

You should be able to find specific parameters on many other discussions in the search bar.
    The best thing you can do is to seal the bag back up after you cut your project pieces.