"Scratches" in film after dip

CrossLincCrossLinc Member Posts: 44
Need some assistance, as this is a new one I haven't seen before. These come up looking like sanding scratches, but I'm quite confident the base paint was smooth. And they're not over the whole piece, just certain areas. Plus, they are down in the cutout where that screw is, and I know I didn't sand down in there. I don't feel like the film is breaking apart, I've seen that effect before and think it looks different, but I may be wrong. Thoughts?

Prep: Sanded plastic (had some small defects to blend out), applied one coat of OHW White, sanded smooth with 400 grit and applied a second coat of OHW White.

TWN Red Straight Grain
TWN 3-3502 Activator (recommended for this film)
OHW White basecoat
Tank 90*F
Soak Time: 1 min.

Comments

• studebakerstudebaker Member, Business Ninja Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22
    Sometimes a second coat of basecoat paint will "Bridge" the scratches in the first coat. When you aggressively rinse the PVA film off the substrate these bridged scratches will let loose and reveal the underlying color. As much as we like to bash TWN it's not their film or activator causing this problem. Nor is it OHW paint, it's just poor intercoat hygiene.

Furniture repair magic markers are just the right shade of brown for this touchup job.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 7,591 El Moderator
    Is it possible that your basecoat wasn't fully cured? The activator may have swelled a bit, and when the solvent all evaporated off, it shrunk a bit.
  • CrossLincCrossLinc Member Posts: 44

Is it possible that your basecoat wasn't fully cured? The activator may have swelled a bit, and when the solvent all evaporated off, it shrunk a bit.

OHW base coat can usually be dipped within a short period, but that does seem like a possibility. This had cured overnight. I watched Jim do a video on OHW where he went from paint to dip in 6 minutes. I'm not in that much of a hurry....
  • CrossLincCrossLinc Member Posts: 44

Sometimes a second coat of basecoat paint will "Bridge" the scratches in the first coat. When you aggressively rinse the PVA film off the substrate these bridged scratches will let loose and reveal the underlying color. As much as we like to bash TWN it's not their film or activator causing this problem. Nor is it OHW paint, it's just poor intercoat hygiene

The scratches started to open up about 30 seconds after dipping and before rinsing.