Problems before rinse

I'm having a problem with white spots before rinse, I dont notice many if any more white spots appearing after rinsing they are present immediately after dip and I cant figure out my problem I thought maybe underactivation but I've done like 10 dips now and of course I increased the amount of activator applied quite a bit and still I suffer from the dreaded white spots! Could it be tiny things floating on the surface I can't see? I use tap water from inside and walk carefully to the garage 20 feet away I'm getting a water heater to eliminate having to transport the vessel used but still wanted to see if anybody had any opinions on what my problem could be I've had a few turn out fairly good still one or two white spots but they seem to be increasing as I proceed on to my next dips. I have my temp at 91 and I do two dips with one bucket so it doesnt drop below say 89 by the second dip and that doesn't seem to increase or decrease them. Maybe I'm dipping it too flat? I'm going at a 45 as well as I can but still seems to come out bad. Using hydrovator and of course the items have been primered/base coated. Just using the activator spray can at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated I will attach some pictures of my most recent dips.

Comments

• PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 676Member ✭✭✭
    Looks under activated. What's your water temp? Soak time?
  • LiberateMeLiberateMe Posts: 11Member
    edited January 26
    91 is what I try and keep it at. Sorry I'm pretty new to this, soak time? Like leaving it in the water after dipping? @PagesHydroDipping
    Post edited by LiberateMe on
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 10,223Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Soak time is How long the film soaked on the water before spraying activator.

Looks under activated to me also.

edited January 27
    Oh ok sorry, I soak for 60 seconds, spray activator and wait about 30 seconds to let activator take effect. I'll also be doing another dip tomorrow probably, and I will definitely step up on my activator usage and post results. Thanks guys! @MidOhioHydrographics @PagesHydroDipping
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,978Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    30 seconds is usually to long activator starts evaporating that could be your under activation issue. Try as soon as film turns to glass or 15 to 20 seconds 
  • SpinnerSpinner Posts: 260Member ✭✭✭
    @LiberateMe,
    I think the issue is your aerosol can. You mentioned the problem is getting worse as you procede. The lower pressure in the can is putting out less material and/or not atomizing it properly.
    If you switch to a full can, do your results improve?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 10,223Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I agree w Spinner and Looch.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,292Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,292Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I deleted your other post. No need for duplication
    edited January 27
    I deleted your other post. No need for duplication

Much appreciated, sorry I realized I posted to the wrong forum so made one here and forgot to delete the first, newbie mistake.
    Thanks for all the helpful input everyone, I'll be ordering some fresh cans, also I plan on getting a spray gun to eliminate the aerosol can. I'm gonna go with more activator and less wait time for dip, will post updates. 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,479Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Yes. Activator evaporates fairly quickly. Waiting 30 seconds for most films is too long. Jagged-edged holes = under activation (dry spots in the film on the water).
    edited February 13
    Ok update finally, definitely looks like I was simply under activating most likely due to a combination of running low on my aerosol can, waiting too long to dip, and simply just not spraying enough in the first place. Most recent ones show much improvement but I still got a ways to go. Im not sure why there are still small bits that aren't adhearing possibly due to slight under activation still or maybe I'm not far away enough from the film and the activator is shooting right through the film? Thanks for all the helpful input once again everybody this definitely takes time and practice to get consistent results but I think I'm on the right track. 
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 3,536Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are right in your diagnosis. They are both under activated. Indicated by the jaggy holes as opposed by the smoothe holes of overactivation.

Thank you for the follow-up. That was very considerate.
    Activator does not shoot through the film. It can drip which will cause issues, but what you are seeing is classic underactivation.

Like I said earlier...

The information is all here for you if you read through it.

https://k2forums.com/discussion/10060/troubleshooting-your-first-few-dips#latest

edited February 14
    I read that article, thanks. Lol why so agro? I'm new to this I read the article and I still needed help so I asked for it, nobody is forcing you to comment on this thread if you dont want to help then don't but I don't understand why you gotta be rude about it. Very discouraging for new people, @WileECoyote everyone else was very nice about it but you were just rude from the start. Just because you are a mod doesn't give you the right to treat people like **badword** lmao. Give people a tiny bit of power and this is how they act, self-righteous and full of themselves as if they started off being great at it. I'm sure you were terrible when you started but you got advice and practiced and got better no? Well with the way you give advice it makes me not want to come back to this website at all. So thanks! 
    Wasn't trying to be rude, I may have been short, but that's because I don't do this for a living, and I have other obligations. You have to understand, that exact question has been answered over a thousand times on this forum, and is a textbook example of underactivation, which is addressed in that post for this exact reason.

I created that post very carefully to address these issues in a way that didn't offend people and assumed that someone reading it would have almost no information about the subject. I doubt someone so full of themselves would spend the time to gather that info to help people just starting out.

One other thing I have seen a thousand times... guys trying to do it with aerosol activator. It doesn't work because its not consistent.

Have a great day

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,479Member, Moderator El Moderator
    I'm not seeing any obvious rudeness. He pointed to a detailed post that shows the problem and how to avoid/fix it.

And like he said, none of us are paid to moderate/post here. We do so in our spare time. Some have less time than others and might not be able to afford the luxury of typing out pleasantries and such.

This is also a very difficult business to master. Youtube makes it look simple, but it isn't. If you practice almost daily, using the proper tools and materials, you could probably get good at in in about a year. Every single day, we have people (not necessarily you in particular) that come in, making the same errors, ignoring the fact that they need proper tools and materials, not even knowing how to set up a spray gun and wondering why their project didn't turn out right. All the while, they'd never expect to be able to paint their car themselves and expect it to turn out half decent. But somehow, hydrographics, which is automotive painting with the extra step of dipping the pattern to the part, is exactly like painting a vehicle but should be easy or at least convenient to learn. Same prep, priming, painting, masking, clear coating, polishing, etc.

edited February 14
    I understand, I apologize for my abrasiveness and I appreciate you taking your time to set the record straight. Once again sorry for just assuming you were being rude @WileECoyote  
  • SpinnerSpinner Posts: 260Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 15
    This process is more about chemistry than just spraying product. Learning what good chemistry looks like (glassing out) is critical. Gaining consistency in form and process takes tons of practice. Proper tools and materials are essential.  It can be frustrating.
    I am, well was, a classically trained, professional musician. Practicing and training 7-8 hours a day, every day for 10 years is only the beginning to being able to get and keep a job... If you are also lucky. You would never think you could get professional results just because you bought an instrument and asked a few questions on the internet.
    Every industry has has its vetting process. Don't get frustrated. Keep an open, humble, and observant mind while working in you shop and receiving advice from these professionals. One day, you will "get it" and understand what they are trying to teach you. 
    Well said @Spinner

This place is so much better than Facebook...
    Thanks for all the advice everyone here's my latest dip I dipped 3 other ones pretty consistent with this one, I'm very happy with my results not perfect but given I've only been doing this about a month and a half and my limited setup I'm very happy with my results, most definitely would have burned through alot more materials and dealt with alot more frustration before I started to get decent results had I not gotten all the great advice from everyone on this site thanks again everyone! I will continue to practice and hopefully one day in the future perfect. Respect to everyone who does it, its definitely not easy but absolutely rewarding when you get some beautiful pieces. 
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,978Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LiberateMe looking much better. Now if your using a aerosol clear be careful on the first pass just dust then give another coat once tacky the aerosol clear have been known to melt film if to much applied at once and welcome to the best forum on the internet 

I understand, I apologize for my abrasiveness and I appreciate you taking your time to set the record straight. Once again sorry for just assuming you were being rude @WileECoyote  

He gets that a lot. At this point it’s Kind a talent, I think. Part of his charm. :lol:
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,977Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trevor are you acting up again. LMAO
    @Tsunami I dare say "I never stopped"
    Getting better every day. Thank you for posting a follow-up picture. It's like watching our first child take his first steps. Keep it up and remember, it's hard to over-activate.
    Absolutely, I will most likely continue to update this thread with my continued progress as well as some finished pieces, I have a couple of finished pieces and the clear coat took very well and looks beautiful. Thanks! @studebaker