Steps.candy concentrate

If I'm going to use Fire engine candy Concentrate can someone please tell me the steps I need to take from the very beginning to the very end and what color based paint should I use not quite sure how to uses this.

Comments

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 2,256Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Candy is best done over metallic. Silver metallic seems to be the best.

(however, you can put it over ANY color, to change the color of the project)

I almost always use silver metallic as my base.

I mix the candy in with inter-coat. Not clear coat mind ya.. inter-coat.. clear paint.

Some people put it in the clear coat. I don't like that. It leaves the candy exposed to the UV rays...

I used to use I think a mixture of 8-1 (8 parts clear paint, 1 part candy). But I long stopped formal measuring it. Now I just toss some candy in there and spray until i get the desired color.

The below is fire engine red candy over silver metallic. No dip.

Here is silver metallic base, CF dip, fire engine red candy

I don't remember if this was fire engine red, or Vento Red.

--

The best thing to do.. is to follow above steps, and just try it. When i first used candies, i was nervous. You know.. candy! But after doing a few hundred parts in candy? meh, whatever. it's really just another layer of paint...

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,292Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I would advise doing a dozen test parts first. You will get the hang of it. @smedlin is correct on not measuring the candy, but you have to start off with a concentrate that is close to the desired effect. If you go too light with the candy, you will end up spraying the coat too heavy to get the dark tint, and you will run the candy. We mix our candy with clear, but we always have 2 coats of clear over the top of that yet, so we get our UV protection.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,978Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @onehitwonder has candy intercoat in a bunch of different colors 
  • TsunamiTsunami Posts: 4,977Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have shot a lot of candy. I used to sell my concentrate. 5% was the mixture. Three to four coats to get the color. Then clear over that. The guys are right to add it to a mid-coat. Some custom painters will lay down 7 coats of candy but i do not believe its concentrate. HOC is a mix not a concentrate. Crap I have been out for a while. Good luck
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 10,223Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    HOL does have a concentrate also. Kandy Koncentrate I think is what they call it. When we learned from an old school painter, we laid down 2-3 coats of clear, wet sand smooth and scuff as needed, then mix the Koncentrate w a very thinned out mix of PPG binder and reducer. Go light until you get the color your after, then clear over top. If you need to sand away the color, it’s very easy to do so since there is barely any mil thickness there.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 14,095Administrator El Jefe
    Yea to all the above...we started using candy in an intercoat last year and it has been a great change. about 8 grams to every one part binder and you should be good to go. The best part about mixing it in the binder is that you can store the unused portion. When we used to mix it up in the clear coat it would kick off and we wasted a bunch...not anymore...now we just store what we don't use. Mind you it has to be "ready to shoot" clear binder and not 2 part...but you get the idea...

I no longer teach mixing it in with the clear coat...even took it out of the training manuals...

And if you use HOK Candy it is called "Intensifier"...and it is UV resistant so no need to worry about the UV breaking it down...you are good...
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 2,256Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent point @K2Concepts

i do that all the time time also. Seems I use a LOT of black candy. (You know what they say, once you go black..)

right now, I have 11 parts that are metallic silver, getting dipped and then a black candy over it

So once I have 3 or 4 ready, i grabbed my already mixed up black candy in the 3m cup, and mist them till I get correct color. When done, I put the cork back in the 3m cup, and set it aside till the next batch...

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 14,095Administrator El Jefe
    smedlin said:

Excellent point @K2Concepts

i do that all the time time also. Seems I use a LOT of black candy. (You know what they say, once you go black..)

right now, I have 11 parts that are metallic silver, getting dipped and then a black candy over it

So once I have 3 or 4 ready, i grabbed my already mixed up black candy in the 3m cup, and mist them till I get correct color. When done, I put the cork back in the 3m cup, and set it aside till the next batch...

@smedlin Yes and it really helps when someone lays down their Harley and needs a couple of pieces done to match their existing candy you already did...in the clear, you can get it close but not so much...with the clear binder, however? Much easier to get close and have a happy customer...
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,831Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are actually shooting an intercoat video today, and will be announcing 4 new candies, pre mixed. The nice thing about candies in intercoat, as opposed to the final clear, is that with no hardener, you can pour unused candy back into the can for later use.

Also, remember that many candies are different strengths, and with different guns, they will lay differently! It’s usually better to err on the side of “more coats of weaker candy”, thank “fewer coats of stronger candy”, to avoid streaking.....
  • CheezyCheezy Posts: 12Member