Air compressor dryer advice

Can I get some help choosing a drying system for my air compressor? I've been using an ingersoll rand desiccant dryer/filter combo for about the past 2 years. It was fine for a while but seems I spend more and more time either drying out the desiccant or just replacing it, especially as I started using my sand blaster a lot more. Im looking into getting the refrigerant type dryer now, Unless you kind folks can steer me in a better direction. I'm not a huge fan of harbor freight ( of course they have the best price)  but I'm also not a huge fan of spending a ton of money if the product is the same... so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 10,131Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I have one of these that works fantastic
    https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/EMAX-EDRCF1150115/p78166.html

You can of course go smaller if your CFM is less.

That harbor freight model is pretty cheap and will probably do just fine honestly...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,192Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Unless you have a regenerative dryer you are going to be saturating that dessicant (like you have found out). What is the reason that you are supplying your sandblaster with dried air? You only need to do that if you have some water affecting your parts that are blasted. I would rerout your air so that the blaster is fed direct from the tank. Then only supply your necessary components (your spray guns) with dry air. A refrigerated dryer is the next step if it is necessary, but I wouldn't buy a Harbor Freight dryer. Yes, they are expensive, no the HF ones aren't the same as the expensive ones. Where do you live that humidity is a problem for you at this time of the year?
  • markfoltzmarkfoltz Posts: 99Member
    @WileECoyote. I'm in west Virginia. The humidity now isn't bad at all... but my desiccant dryer that I'm using now just broke, the tube inside corroded and now the pellets escape and plug up my regulator and lines and what not. I'd rather replace it with something hassle free and more effective now and not have to deal with it again in the summer. And even now using my sand blast cabinet I get enough moisture to plug up the nozzle. 
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 2,235Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the one i have...it's and Ingersoll Rand Refrig.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381824_200381824

it's not cheap though.. be warned ahead of time about the price before you click the link
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 14,064Administrator El Jefe
    I have heard good and bad about the Harbor Freight dryers...but most guys say it's a great little unit for the price...I know it's hard to believe but for $300? I would buy one...and yes route your air directly into the blast cabinet or create a "TEE" so your non-refrigerated air goes into the blast cabinet and another line continues on to your refrigerated unit and then out to the rest of the shop...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 10,131Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I wanted dry air to my blaster. As humid as it gets here in OH, we had clumping of our media.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 2,235Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

I wanted dry air to my blaster. As humid as it gets here in OH, we had clumping of our media.

yea.. here on the Gulf Coast in summer, you can SEE the water in the air (not kidding about that btw. You can actually see the humidity )
  • markfoltzmarkfoltz Posts: 99Member
    I've read plenty of good about the harbor freight unit. But I've got some pure junk from that place over the years too, and I hold a grudge haha, but if enough people here convince I'd give it a shot, atleast till I can justify buying a better unit..... but I am a little confused why I wouldn't want to dry the air going into my blast cabinet? It by far consumes more air than anything else in use. In the summer I can see water blowing out onto the parts and my sand clumps and clogs up.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,192Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    If you are getting a refrigerant dryer, and the moisture in the air is causing that much grief in your blast operation, go for it. My comment was for the desiccant style dryer. No need to drive out THAT much moisture for blasting. Refrigerant will bring the dew point down to -40° F. Desiccant can more than double that. -80° and -90° are common.