Hello from Indiana

ck55ck55 Posts: 6Member
Hello, I’m Chris and I’m just now gathering things to start dipping. A friend of mine and I are starting it up as a hobby as he’s a car guy and I’m a car and guns guy. I’m a big fan of forums for the extensive knowledge and awesome people and you nice folks certainly fit into that. So far we have some film, all the paint, activator and clear for a noble amateur effort. I even have a broken deep freezer to be repurposed as our tank. We even have some practice rifle stocks and car part along with a handful of clients once we don’t suck and feel we’re good enough to charge money. Really looking forward to getting thing going, learning and sharing what I mess up.

Comments

• studebakerstudebaker ✭✭✭✭✭ Posts: 3,409Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for doing things the right way the first time. You are successful before you even start! Welcome to the forum.
  • loochlooch ✭✭✭✭✭ Posts: 1,927Member ✭✭✭✭✭
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder ✭✭✭✭✭ Posts: 2,823Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
  • DallenDallen ✭✭✭✭ Posts: 1,769Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote El Moderator Posts: 7,130Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
  • ForsiForsi ✭✭✭ Posts: 342Member ✭✭✭
    @ck55 welcome to the forum and industry. I am in KY and have a complete professional set up for sale if you are interested. 10' tank, rinse tank, three spray guns, activator, tons of film, clear coats, paint, samples, etc. - everything you need to get going except a paint booth. Also, if you are going to be doing guns and especially if you are advertising that you do guns you will need an FFL to legally process the firearms, fyi. Good luck and let me know if you happen to be interested in the equipment. Thanks!
  • ck55ck55 Posts: 6Member
    Forsi said:

@ck55 welcome to the forum and industry. I am in KY and have a complete professional set up for sale if you are interested. 10' tank, rinse tank, three spray guns, activator, tons of film, clear coats, paint, samples, etc. - everything you need to get going except a paint booth. Also, if you are going to be doing guns and especially if you are advertising that you do guns you will need an FFL to legally process the firearms, fyi. Good luck and let me know if you happen to be interested in the equipment. Thanks!

Forsi Thank you. We are nowhere near professional grade equipment yet. We’re going to set it up in one bay of my garage and leave enough room for the wife’s car on snowy days. So far the gun business will be limited to friends the bring the guns by in person and pick then up upon completion. If we ever grow to a size where we’re dipping things for people we don’t know we’ll be looking into an FFL and maybe a gun trust. Aside from this forum only our wives and a few close friends know we’re doing it.
    Thank you for the advice, I was thinking the same thing if it takes off and gun business is part of our plan.

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote El Moderator Posts: 7,130Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You really should have your FFL to start with. No matter if its simply for friends or not. It costs $200 and you stay in good graces with the ATF. If someone posts a pic of a gun you modified on Facebook and they follow up on it (and they do) you can get into some trouble. Getting one after that is going to be a bit tougher.
  • ForsiForsi ✭✭✭ Posts: 342Member ✭✭✭

You really should have your FFL to start with. No matter if its simply for friends or not. It costs $200 and you stay in good graces with the ATF. If someone posts a pic of a gun you modified on Facebook and they follow up on it (and they do) you can get into some trouble. Getting one after that is going to be a bit tougher.

This right here. The fine for getting caught working on firearms with no FFL is steep and as mentioned above getting an FFL if you have been caught operating without one makes the process all that much more difficult, and expensive.
  • smedlinsmedlin ✭✭✭✭✭ Posts: 2,211Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    actually... just need an FFL if you are taking possession of a part with a serial number on it.

Do all the rifle stocks, pistol slides, etc you want.. as long as it does not have a federal serial number on it.

I would not touch anything with a serial number on it...friends stuff or not.
    Did a bit of research and yeah, nothing with a serial number until there's an ffl attached to me. Seems like pretty cheap insurance to stay in law enforcement's good graces.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips ✭✭✭✭✭ Posts: 1,902Member ✭✭✭✭✭
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics El Moderator Posts: 10,101Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Welcome to the forum!

Good call w the FFL. We dip thousands of firearm parts a year, and hundreds of firearms. Mostly for manufacturers. An FFL is a must if you want to gear your business for firearms and outdoor equipment. There are plenty of people out there wanting good work done.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts El Jefe Posts: 14,024Administrator El Jefe
    All the above...and welcome to the forum!...
    Thanks everyone.this is exactly why I love forums, people with far more knowledge and experience than me who are willing to share. I really appreciate your expertise. I’m sure not getting fined by the ATF is vital to a successful business model.