lines of dots

couple questions. First I keep getting rows of small pinhead dots that’s from not going on an angle while dipping correct? It’s trapping air bubbles? If so what’s the correct way to dip a tumbler like yeti, Ozark Trail etc? 

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,089Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Pics help with any questions. Lines of dots are trapped air. Cups need to be rolled. I don't know what your current technique is 
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 3,367Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Line of dots... Trapped air from wrong angle of entry.

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,433Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Yes. Lines of dots are trapped air. And yes, you can get them on a "round" object like a tumbler. As shown in the above video, start with one end of the cup angled down into the film, level it out, then push forward while rolling. If you enter the water flat or level, you will get trapped air where it first touches.
  • sgra1587sgra1587 Posts: 31Member
    Yeah I enter the water at an angle and level out once it’s in the water I kinda roll it not really pushing forward while rolling so maybe I’ll try that 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,433Member, Moderator El Moderator
    sgra1587 said:

Yeah I enter the water at an angle and level out once it’s in the water I kinda roll it not really pushing forward while rolling so maybe I’ll try that 

If you roll it in place without moving it forward, you are making the tumbler "pull" the film to the part. This causes the image to stretch. Roll it along, as if you were rolling it across the top of a table. This way, the film is applied without being pulled and stretched. It helps with general image quality and color retention.
  • ForsiForsi Posts: 331Member ✭✭✭
    NotSoFast said:

sgra1587 said:

If you roll it in place without moving it forward, you are making the tumbler "pull" the film to the part. This causes the image to stretch. Roll it along, as if you were rolling it across the top of a table. This way, the film is applied without being pulled and stretched. It helps with general image quality and color retention.
    THIS...
    Yeah I usually roll it along as opposed to rolling in place and stretching the film. I guess I’ll just have to keep trying to eliminate the dots
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,089Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    At training Jim has people roll a piece of 3 or 4 inch pvc for practice. Do it a few dozen times, it gets easier to see what you are looking for. 
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,815Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like @WileECoyote says, practice on pvc first. That’s how we train too. A line of dots indicates trapped air by entering the water too fast and/or too flat
    Good idea thanks I’ll try it out. You still prep the PVC the same?
    You have to paint it? Like you would any other PVC part