2K Aerosol Durability

11B4PF711B4PF7 Posts: 10Member
This may be more of a general question but, I'm using OHW 2K Aerosol for this project. I'm dipping and clearing my own Ruger Precision Rifle. I use some pretty nasty chemicals to remove copper from the barrel after a day of shooting 200-300 rounds.

What should I expect from this clear coat (or any 2k) when it comes to withstanding something like Shooter's Choice or even a straight copper removing gel?

Obviously, I won't be trying to apply it to the exterior. But things happen when you're really going after it :smiley:

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 10,032Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Should be just fine. I tested Sweets 7.62 copper solvent on our 2k coatings, and no issue. As long as it's a 2k aerosol, you're good. The problems arise from 1k (like Krylon) topcoats where they don't have the 2-component system. We use NanoChem coatings, but any 2k system should be plenty durable. I tested Hoppes 9, Butch's Bore Shine, Sweets 7.62, Gun Scrubber Aerosol, etc. by placing them in a puddle on a dipped/finished stock, and letting it sit. No issues. Do not use anything that says "Not recommended for painted surfaces" or something like that. I've seen issues with Clenzoil and Outers Crud Cutter Heavy Degreaser, which caused our topcoat to lift.

I would still test a small sample part that you could dip alongside the rifle. Better to be safe.

A Ruger Precision Rifle is a bit of a complicated dip for someone just starting out. Take your time, and make sure to mask it properly. We have done a few, and they're pretty labor intensive.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,808Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    We’ve tested almost every gun cleaner with our 2k clear, and it’s been just fine. Our 2k aerosol is no exception. Unless it’s brake fluid, you should be good to go
  • 11B4PF711B4PF7 Posts: 10Member
    Thanks guys! If it stood up to Sweets, I'll be ok. That's the toughest stuff that I use. @onehitwonder your Aerosol products have been a lifesaver!
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,042Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Typically for the amount of time that would be likely, you are fine. If left wet overnight, most solvents will lift 2K clear and paint even if it is cured. If I had to repair a fixture that had been painted a few dozen times I would leave it in acetone overnight. come back and 30-40 layers of baked on 2k paints would be lifted and flake right off.

Just use common sense, and clean up when you are done.
  • 11B4PF711B4PF7 Posts: 10Member

Typically for the amount of time that would be likely, you are fine. If left wet overnight, most solvents will lift 2K clear and paint even if it is cured. If I had to repair a fixture that had been painted a few dozen times I would leave it in acetone overnight. come back and 30-40 layers of baked on 2k paints would be lifted and flake right off.

Just use common sense, and clean up when you are done.

That's some good information for removing the stuff as well. Thanks!