New to dipping having dip failure

m00nm4n90m00nm4n90 Posts: 4Member
Having a few dips fail on me and not sure if it's because of old film ( donated for practice dipping) or the paint I'm using for the base. Currently trying  aerosol RUST-OLEUM PAINTERS TOUCH and KRYLON COLOR MASTER. think maybe the krylon is messing with the adhesion properties of the film. Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Comments

• m00nm4n90m00nm4n90 Posts: 4Member
    Using a liquid concepts dip tank water @ 93° and big brain mossy sauce activator
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,468Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Store-bought aerosol paints do not work well with this process. Many of the forum sponsors have paints in aerosol cans that have been specially formulated for hydrographics.
    Yeah I'm starting to learn that as I'm reading other posts.. the issue is  I'm learning so I'm trying to keep the cost down. I do have a compressor and paint guns just trying not to make a bulk purchase until I've got the process down
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,468Member, Moderator El Moderator
    m00nm4n90 said:

Yeah I'm starting to learn that as I'm reading other posts.. the issue is  I'm learning so I'm trying to keep the cost down. I do have a compressor and paint guns just trying not to make a bulk purchase until I've got the process down

"Keep the cost down". Sadly, that phrase does not mix well with this industry. It is VERY expensive, requiring proper tools and materials to do consistently well. Along that note, learning with aerosols will teach you next to nothing that you will retain when you switch over to using a compressor/gun. You need to develop muscle memory and get the application of activator down to a robot-like repeatable pass. You wouldn't practice a tennis backhand shot to better your baseball swing just because you can't afford a bat and balls yet.

This business (and yes it's a business even though you aren't making money in a dedicated industrial building) is very expensive. $5000 is considered a starting point for a "hobbyist" setup.

• studebakerstudebaker Posts: 3,461Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30
    Maybe you are focusing on the wrong thing... Chances are that the film is soft and flimsy and dissolves very fast. Please take pictures and post them so we can give coherent advice. Saying your basecoat is Krylon will only get you guesses, and derision. It's not enough information for us to formulate good advice.

We really want to help! Promoting the hydrographics industry helps us all.
    @NotSoFast and @studebaker thank you very much for the straight forward honest advice, I'm still learning the forum etiquette. I really appreciate I did some more reading and in pretty sure it's a mixture of missing dip window, and crappy paint. Also need to sharpen those fundamentals of the process(definitely will post pictures next time). I'm learning to dip for my graphics shop and I spoke with the boss today pretty where gonna put in an order for OHW and make use of those paint guns 😜. Thanks again guys definitely making my entry into the industry easier 
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 14,076Administrator El Jefe
    Rattle cans will only get your nose swatted and then followed by the cone of shame...