Fresh meat here

CousinsCustomCousinsCustom Posts: 3Member
Me and my cousin bought a hydrographic set up from A local guy. We got a tank 4x2. Plus about 800$ in film alot of hydrodip aerosols from paint to activator.  We both been doing ok at dipping. How ever we have had great success with some film and horrible success at others. The film that came with everything was left out in a storage unit for who knows how long. Could that affect film or paint over a long period of time. I live on idaho weather can be 60 degrees one day and negative 5 the next.

Comments

• studebakerstudebaker ✭✭✭✭✭ Posts: 3,409Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25
    Yes, absolutely! Film "left out in the shed" will deteriorate. The cycles of extreme temperature and humidity levels will make the film darn near useless. Please, whatever you do don't use it and have a failure that you have no idea as to why it failed. Wait until you fully understand the vagaries of the dipping process before trying it. Otherwise, you will be on the forum asking for a diagnosis on every dip, and want to give up the "lucrative business of hydro dipping" because you can't get the hang of it.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics El Moderator Posts: 10,101Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yes. Film is sensitive to humidity (since it is water soluble) so storage conditions can absolutely affect how the film acts, or make it go bad completely.

Welcome to the forum!

Read as much as you can and then ask questions when needed. Nearly every question you have is listed someplace on this forum! You have a wealth of knowledge on here from all ends of the hydro spectrum. Hobbyists with home built tanks, hobbyists with $30,000 setups, and even people like myself that do this full time in full blow production with 1000's of parts a week.
  • DallenDallen ✭✭✭✭ Posts: 1,769Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
  • NickelCityHydroNickelCityHydro ✭✭✭ Posts: 715Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
  • smedlinsmedlin ✭✭✭✭✭ Posts: 2,211Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25
    Also.. every film is different.

That's one of the things that makes this difficult to learn.

The "90-60-20" guideline is a generic starting point. Each value has to be adjusted up or down depending on how thick the PVA is as well as how much ink is on the film.

Unless your in a totally climate controlled shop, even the weather can greatly affect your dip process.

And NOT being negative..but that first picture (the black/white rifle)..it's got some issues.

• CousinsCustomCousinsCustom Posts: 3Member
    @smedlin what negative? I'm new so nothing can be negative to me. I use OHW white faded to a gray. It looked good. However I did use a aerosol 2k clear. Would my nephew's bb gun have a down the road type issue?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote El Moderator Posts: 7,130Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    In the pics it looks like you have trapped air and underactivation. Aerosol activators are tough to learn on.
  • CousinsCustomCousinsCustom Posts: 3Member
    Ya the aerosols was a learning curve we are starting to buy paint and activators for the guns. I do have a follow up question I have a 1.4 and a 0.8 tip I'm using the 1.4 tip to paint and  a 1.7 for activator. Dont know what to use the 0.8 for. what is a good application for the 0.8?
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder ✭✭✭✭✭ Posts: 2,823Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! 0.8 is a mini gun. Thin down the paint and use it for small parts
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts El Jefe Posts: 14,024Administrator El Jefe
    .8 is also good for Cerakote...