Dipping arm build

magicmagic Posts: 104Member ✭✭
Ive received some great information about building a dipping arm from @Tdesign
Just wondering if anyone else got any suggestions to harvest parts from other items like electric tv lifts.
Tia magic

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 10,171Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I have a design, but it’s not a simple thing. Means programming a control box and automation, built using linear motion bearings and rails, and a ball screw assembly. Overall costs are significant. If you have production and want something that will run millions of cycles, then it’s worth the investment. I’m in process of building a second one for a second tank. But if you just want something that will dip a rim easier? It’s not for you. Get in touch w Liquid Image or another manufacturer over in Asia and have them ship you one.
  • magicmagic Posts: 104Member ✭✭
    Thanks you @MidOhioHydrographics , just looking for a helping hand rather than mass production arm . If i need something bigger ill be in touch. Top guys
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 10,171Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Ok that’s what I was wondering. It’s honestly probably going to be cheapest to get one made overseas. Will be purpose built and work pretty well.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,227Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    All depends on your process, how frequently it is being used, how much it is lifting, and size of the parts.
    This is my current ongoing design. For size reference, the tank has a 12ft long usable dip area. LOL. Go big or go home... Still working on the sizing and height requirements for the size of parts we are dipping, but overall it's coming along nicely. But as I said, it would probably be insane overkill for 99% of dippers, and the 1% would build their own anyway. Hell it's honestly overkill for me since the parts are large, but not super heavy. But I was told a while back that "Overkill is underrated" and it kind of stuck with me. Also, "Buy once, cry once" which I learned from the man behind the mustache.

Nice design.  There @MidOhioHydrographics

Really after something to help push gas tanks under for full dips. 
    Got some great prices from overseas,  by the time i purchased parts , time and labour, and ironing out setting up and design problems.   Its just easier to  get one one ready made for the job
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 14,076Administrator El Jefe
    magic said:

Nice design.  There @MidOhioHydrographics

by the time i purchased parts , time and labour, and ironing out setting up and design problems.   Its just easier to  get one one ready made for the job

Well...you would like to think so anyways...
    @MidOhioHydrographics What modeling software are you using?...
    Using Vero VISICad. It's what we use for mold design CAM at Hi-Point.
    https://www.visicadcam.com/

It's pretty high end for this type of design work, but we already have the seats.
    Ahh...yea a little more than I need I would think...I will stick with SketchUp me thinks...
    Thanks for the advice all
    edited June 24
    I have used sketchup for years. I used it for my current dip arm build and still do for woodworking projects... even my house addition. The only thing I don't like about it is the proprietary file type, and not being able to import from standard CAD file types (iges, step, parasolid, etc.) unless you go up to the pro version, then I think you can. Cool thing about a better program? If you go to McMaster, you can download the 3D model of ANYTHING on there and just drop it right into the model. Makes everything fit together exactly how you expect. I made due with Sketchup though, and it's AMAZING for anyone that wants to draw something for free. Very powerful program for something you don't have to pay for. Has saved me a ton of time and frustration in the past.

Cool thing about this... once I'm done, I can send the file right over to 8020.net and let them quote all the pieces and parts, cut to length, ready to go. Then it's just down to assembling the whole thing!
    Post edited by MidOhioHydrographics on
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,227Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @magic How many are you thinking of dipping at a time? Have you successfully dipped tanks in one pass before? i would assume the stretch would be insane that way.
    edited June 24
    Not tried it yet myself.   Just one at a time though But i know of other dippers that use it for gas tanks. Plus i have some production stuff i want to dip with it to speed things up
    Just  playing with options and seeing if its worth going down  this route
    It’s huge w production, as long as you have the skills to build robust fixtures to hold the parts. Easy on, stay on the fixture for the entire process which then attaches to your arm,, then easy off for packaging. Lots of ways to accomplish this, but remember there are up front costs for that tooling as well.
    Cheers  dude awesome advice.
    i have fabrication skills, welding etc , been a tradesman all my life.  Im looking  forward to my progression 
    Awesome, then you're on your way. Building something may work, or buy and the modify to suit your needs. Either way, if you have 1000 widgets to do, and you can fixture up 100 at a time, and then dip maybe 6 fixtures at a time, each holding 5 parts? You see where it gets beneficial. If your cycle time is 5 minutes, you go from dipping 5 parts every 5 minutes to 30 parts every 5 minutes. In just over 3 dips you have 100 parts done.

Fair warning... once you start down that road, the rest of your shop is going to have to be upgraded to keep up. You part washer is going to be a bottleneck. I already had a conveyor washer, a dip arm, etc. when I first started and I still had to put $60k into the business my first year. Professional sand blast cabinet, 20hp Screw Compressor, more work benches, air lines, flammable storage cabinets, etc.

And I would HIGHLY recommend an automated sprayer also. Again, not cheap, But.... You know how difficult and time consuming it is to activate a 2.2meter long x 1m wide piece of film every 5 minutes. There was a company making automated systems that consisted of a sprayer and a dip arm for about $20k. Very reasonable for what you get. As I remember and without saying names, a shop here in Ohio was using them for their production for a large outdoor manufacturer. I will have to get the info again. I believe Jason from OHW referred them to me. I'm having a hard time finding their info. It was a couple years back, so I'm not even sure if they're still doing it.
    I never even considered all that stuff, much  more to think about than anticipated , youve been a solid  wealth of knowledge and im grateful for the advice.  
    In still in buissness startup. At the moment  but have contacts and leads, trying to start in the right direction  without over committing.  
    Yea it’s a rabbit hole for sure...you start down that path there is almost no turning back because on top of all the upgrades that you make? Now you gotta keep feeding the animal you just gave birth to...and it turn into a real [email protected] when it don’t get fed...ask me how I know?...
    edited June 27
    As for SketchUp? You guys can get it for free at app.sketchup.com

Just create an account for free and start using it...they have viewer apps in the GoogleStore or App Store that allow you to share your work or view and take measurements of existing drawings you created...it’s a pretty amazing piece of software...the paid versions are pretty inexpensive and allow for 3D modeling and printing...as well as Energy Calculations for HVAC professionals...

They have come a long way since Google owned them...pretty happy with it...takes some training BUT I think it is worth the effort...
    Post edited by K2Concepts on
    @K2Concepts  help your scaring the pants off me now... lol 
    But genuine thanks for all your input 

My wingman @Tdesign got me sorted. Will post up build once completed