Roll this or straight in?

ForsiForsi Posts: 318Member ✭✭✭
edited May 29 in Tips and Techniques
For this gun stock the customer wants a carbon fiber (naturally...ugh) pattern. To prevent a seam on the top I have done the top in a brushed stainless accent and that top will remain taped off for the carbon fiber dip (the second photo below shows how the top is done). I do not want a seam on the bottom as it will be impossible to get the carbon fiber weave to match in two dips so my question is would it be best to roll the dip from one side to the other or dip it at a steeper than 45-degree angle going in from the front to the back? My concern on going in from the front to the back is the amount of stretch that will occur since it is a tight weave carbon fiber pattern. I have typically done stocks in other busier patterns in two dips, but that is not feasible in this case so I am curious what others have done in similar situations. Thanks for the help!

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,920Administrator El Jefe
    HA...I just did one of those...carbon fiber stock right?...TONS of pinholes I had to skin over and sand smooth...total pain...I am emailing the customer to see how I dipped that project...been a minute since I did it...lol...
    Ok the customer said I did it half and half...otherwise, the carbon fiber is going to warp really bad...
  • ForsiForsi Posts: 318Member ✭✭✭
    Yes @K2Concepts that is exactly correct! Lots of time sanding it down to get it this good and now I just want to make sure the carbon fiber dip doesn't stretch too much. I have stared at it long enough and debated trying to roll it versus straight in and am torn so I thought I would ask on the forum and see if anyone else has done one like this...haha

Thanks for any help!

Ok the customer said I did it half and half...otherwise, the carbon fiber is going to warp really bad...

@K2Concepts so you just got the seam to line up as best as possible on the bottom? I was trying to avoid a seam on the bottom. To avoid the seam on the top I sold the customer on doing the brushed stainless steel as an "accent" to avoid seaming it. Hmmm....I wish there was a way to avoid the seam on the bottom.
    If wishes were fishes? We would all be casting nets...
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,409Member, Moderator El Moderator
    If the customer wants carbon with no seams, then he can go buy a carbon fiber stock. I bet he doesn't want to do that, huh? lol

On a side note, am I the only one who thinks carbon fiber on parts that have no earthly reason to naturally be made of that material look gaudy as hell.
    @NotSoFast I couldn't agree more! And frankly I have no clue why people want "everything" done in carbon fiber...I personally don't get the hype on dipping everything under the sun in carbon fiber, but I suppose at the end of the day as long as they are paying then we do what we can to deliver. My mistake is that I did a previous job for another customer with basically the same stock as this one and I did it in a different carbon fiber weave and dipped it from front to back in one dip and somehow, someway there was minimal stretching so the result was a seamless (bottom and sides) dip. The top was done in a secondary pattern like we are doing on this project. For the life of me I cannot replicate a minimal stretch on the carbon fiber for this project, which is why I was asking to see what others have done or do for similar scenarios. After trying my previous technique on this one and it stretching/warping pretty bad I have chalked up the original project success to a successful "fluke" because I still don't know how I did it seamless and basically perfect. Oh well, for this one it is going to be seamed on the bottom and the customer will just have to be happy with that look as the sides will look great, the top will be done in the secondary pattern thus no seams, and he can mount his support hardware on the bottom to cover up the seam - haha. Thanks again!
    Dip Carbon Fiber films in a cold tank...thus endeth the lesson for today...

"Jim Tzu"....