Bubbles and stretch marks

shau2shau2 Posts: 112Member

What now? Diagnosis? Solution?
If I use a heat gun can I melt the paint from heating on the underside to melt down the bubbles?

Comments

• studebakerstudebaker Posts: 3,322Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's underactivated and with too little hydration time. You can't melt paint with heat. Otherwise, your car's paint would melt off in the hot sun. Also if you heat those bubbles, the air inside will expand and pop the bubbles.
  • shau2shau2 Posts: 112Member
    Do you think back taping would have a role here in preventing stretch marks near the edge? The panel is about 50x50cm.
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 659Member ✭✭✭
    The lines and bubbles are from under activation. The print was not completely liquified, that's why you have those lines. It's from were the film was bunching up on its self.
    edited April 14
    Here is a video of the actual dip to help in diagnosing the problem. Warning: turn down or switch off the volume because the air compressor randomly turns on and gets very loud. Don't mind the foreign tongue.

So for starters that was 2 min 50 secs soak time??? What is your water temp? But yes still way under activated. Notice how the film is still I'm a solid state as your Dipping into it. The big peices of film stuck to the side your trying to shake off when you were holding it underwater shows you just how under activated your are. Now keep in mind under activated doesn't just mean you need more activator. I'm guessing you are Dipping in cold water? Under hydrated film will give you "under activated " results. That is why we always use the standard 90° water with a 60 sec soak.

So for starters that was 2 min 50 secs soak time??? What is your water temp? But yes still way under activated. Notice how the film is still I'm a solid state as your Dipping into it. The big peices of film stuck to the side your trying to shake off when you were holding it underwater shows you just how under activated your are. Now keep in mind under activated doesn't just mean you need more activator. I'm guessing you are Dipping in cold water? Under hydrated film will give you "under activated " results. That is why we always use the standard 90° water with a 60 sec soak.

I know, the soak time was on the long side because I was worried about inadequate hydration... But as you rightly point out, the soak time was already much longer than the standard 60 secs.

My thermometer broken and waiting for a new one in the mail - water temp uncontrolled. In Australia, our temps are fairly mild though throughout the whole year. Low to mid twenty-something degrees Celsius is my guess? It's the same for most of the year.

I was using 30% xylene + 70% thinner for activator.

So if not for the amount of activator, what other variables are causing the under-activated result here? Presumably hydration time was adequate being so long compared to the standard 60 secs?

Thanks!
    My guess is gonna be your tank temp is to low. You are gonna have to heat that thing up. Right now you are fighting so many variables. You are gonna have to start eliminating them one at a time.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,988Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Correct. Eliminate as many variables as you can. Nobody knows if it had soaked long enough. Even w/ my 90 degree tank we soak some films for 120 seconds.

Also, just grab a cheap IR thermometer and read the surface temp of your water. Can usually pick them up cheap online.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,003Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You have to have some consistency. You need the same temp in your tank every day. You need the same activator every day. You need the same hydration time every day. THEN you can start working on your activator distance, nozzle size, pressure and speed.