Trouble with Fractol Camo film

I have been having trouble with the fractal camo film.  I have dipped over a 100 Harley Davidson horn covers, And I have 2 patterns from fractol camo that every time I rinse, the film comes completely off and sometimes paint comes all the way off too.  I'm using OHW paint, 90゚ water, I have tried super brew, hydro Vater, and hydro gator Activator.  I have let is soak from 60 seconds to 90 seconds, I have waited from 10 seconds to 30 seconds after activating, And  I  Have rinsed it right away and waited in different intervals all the way up till 20 minutes later to rinse. I have changed how much activator I'm using and nothing helps.  But as soon as i use a different film, i have no problems.  Please help. 

Comments

• SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,485Member ✭✭✭✭
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,898Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont let the film glass out leave it kinda grainy looking and k2 superbrew works well
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,877Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fractal films are custom printed so its gonna be different from all your production films. I have 80 plus different films from there and its just a learning curve to custom films. I run 60sec soak water 85 degrees and 20 to 30 sec dwell depending the colors in the film and rinse 5 mins after. I use superbrew but have used dip juice, hydrosolutions activator and ink drink all with great success. I shoot with a 1.8 and spray it heavier than production films
  • kevkoskevkos Posts: 73Member
    I have waited 30 seconds,  and rinsed at 5 minutes.  Comes right off.  
    I just tried the Super brew, same thing 
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 665Member ✭✭✭
    Post pics. If you paint is coming of during rinse then it sounds like you are over activating. But we needs pics to help
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 3,345Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah... Paint coming off also is a major clue. Deviousdips activates custom printed film heavily with all types of cool activators without any problems. The next clue is that the ink sometimes rinses off. Again, a paint problem..... But not necessarily a problem with the paint, but a problem with the application and drying level of the paint. Quite often people have a tendency to "overpaint". all you need is a light basecoat with just enough paint to color the substrate. NO MORE. If you want thick paint, do it with the clear coat!
    That was with one coat with OHW. And i tried many different amounts and patterns of activator.  Some with barely any activator,  and it still did it.  Have done over 50 items after with no problems,  so I'm going to chalk it up to some bad film.
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 665Member ✭✭✭
    It's very unlikely a problem with the film. Post some pictures so we can help you out
  • MB_CustomsMB_Customs Posts: 55Member
    “ the film comes completely off and sometimes paint comes all the way off too.”

“so I'm going to chalk it up to some bad film”
    If the paint comes off too, how can that be bad film? Just asking, cause that don’t sound fair to the film. How did the film affect your paint adhesion?
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,877Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not bad film. Chalk it up to not knowing the process of custom film. Everybody is so quick to blame the film when it comea to custom film but dont take the time to learn how to use custom film. Custom film is a lot different from production film until you learn it and then its just as easy. I have 80 plus different films from fractal and havent had a problem with any of them. Custom film is just different. I wasted 10 meters before I started getting the hang of it. But now its like any other film I use. 
    I have other custom films from fractol,  and  they work great.  Im following their instructions,  and tried everyones suggestions.  And it still only happens with the one print.  Maybe the film is not allowing the activator to evaporate and is softening the paint.  Don't know,  
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,898Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive gotten a boatload of fractal films too and yes it takes some learning. Can you post pictures so we all can see whats going on
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,958Administrator El Jefe
    Yea it ain't the film brother...
  • gardnerdddgardnerddd Posts: 230Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    kevkos said:

I have other custom films from fractol,  and  they work great.  Im following their instructions,  and tried everyones suggestions.  And it still only happens with the one print.  Maybe the film is not allowing the activator to evaporate and is softening the paint.  Don't know,  

After you dip, let it sit for about 10 - 15 mins before you rinse, this will help if you are having problems with other items. This will allow the paint and film to settle. More than likely you are going a little to heavy with the paint, to long on hydration (read film) watch film hydrate so you can see when it hits the spot ready for activator, usually 40 - 60 second.
    @gardnerddd Nice...thank you!...
  • BCHydrographicsBCHydrographics Posts: 58Member
    I use fractal a lot down here in Texas and this is what I have learned with them, one make sure your passes are consistent, two read the film hydrating I have some films from there that don’t make the 60 sec mark and I have others that I let go 90 secs plus at 80-85 degrees tank temp, I let the film tell me it’s ready, three not all of them glass over some will look grainy I always add a little extra film on new film that I am using that way I can stick a finger in the corner and test it and lastly paint is the key, I learned the hard way using cheap paints with custom films, sometimes you get lucky but most times you won’t, use paint made for hydrographics. 
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 3,345Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20
    ↑↑↑ Amen ↑↑↑

I use fractal a lot down here in Texas and this is what I have learned with them, one make sure your passes are consistent, two read the film hydrating I have some films from there that don’t make the 60 sec mark and I have others that I let go 90 secs plus at 80-85 degrees tank temp, I let the film tell me it’s ready, three not all of them glass over some will look grainy I always add a little extra film on new film that I am using that way I can stick a finger in the corner and test it and lastly paint is the key, I learned the hard way using cheap paints with custom films, sometimes you get lucky but most times you won’t, use paint made for hydrographics. 

Hell to the yes...