Looking for Feedback - Collapsible Paint Booth

get_wetget_wet Posts: 6Member
New to posting - have been lurking for some time lol. I am about to build a collapsible booth to go in my garage - the garage was sealed off and finished prior to me buying it and the wife wants to keep it that way - so this is my compromise. I thought about adding on to my woodshop for this paint booth and dip area but I think this will be more feasible.

I will be painting football helmets in this space - so nothing extremely large is needed. My thought is 4 simple walls, framed with 2x4 and wrapped in 3mil plastic sheeting. Each set of two walls will be hinged at the interior corner - allowing me to collapse the walls easily and slide them out of the way when not in use. The inside of the opposite corners will have a sash or latch system to pull the seams together once assembled.

The space is 7' x 7' - vertical is 6'8" (the garage door is still there so they framed and drywalled around it - see pic for visual. My thought is to build this tall enough that there is some space above it to maybe lay foam panels with velcro to secure them and seal the top in? Not sure about that part yet. Also, have a 4ft shop light that I will need to mount above the booth for lighting.

The back side of the booth will have a cutout for a 20x20 filter and box fan mounted to the outside. That will hopefully pull any overspray to the filter and fumes out the window that the box fan is aligned with. Now my thought is I will have to fab some kind of duct system to go out the window out into the yard most likely - right outside the window is a pump for the ductless air unit mounted in the garage - and my siding is white lol. What do you guys think?

As far as air flow - wondering if I should potentially have an inlet somewhere? but then again the top will not be super sealed so that might be enough? the other challenge is the dogs are in and out of the area - so I will shop vac before any painting but if I open a hole low to the ground for air flow I do not want dog hair getting sucked in!

Anyway, let me know your thoughts and appreciate any feedback and ideas. Thanks in advance.

- DH

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,003Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Every time the wind blows, or you turn on the exhaust, the walls will flex. This will dump a dust storm inside your booth that will get on your wet parts while you are painting. Collapsible always sounds like a good idea, but in practicality, it never works.

For items that size, consider something like this. Either purchased or built. https://www.sentryair.com/ductless-fume-hood.htm

Keep in mind the extreme liability that altering safety equipment carries.
  • get_wetget_wet Posts: 6Member
    Thanks for the input! These are collectors items only, not to be used in any actual sport. I'll check that link out and see what I can figure out! Also, I slightly modified the design. Added an air inlet with filter opposite the exhaust. Also two shop lights mounted vertically and covered with plexiglass. Thanks again!

Side note - @WileECoyote where are you located if you don't mind me asking, I know a guy that uses that same name and is a fabricator lol
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,003Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Located in Wisconsin, I have been a fabricator, maintenance, and now an engineer
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 414Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 10
    I did something similar when I started the Flow was not enough and I had a small blower. I ended up closing it in adding a filter wall and a real paint booth fan.
    Just an update - I doubled the airflow in - and added an 18" gable vent fan for the exhaust. That fan is rated for 1400cfm and the booth is only about 64sqft so that should be plenty. Exhaust is good, not having a dust issue either. I was concerned since the concrete is not sealed in the garage and was worried about dust, but I have a plastic sheet down and the booth does not stay open so particle travel is minimal. I have been testing temp/humidity/air flow non stop for about a month now and am in a really good place. I went through about 30 speed shapes and have tested about 5 films from @liquidconcepts that I will be using as well as base/clear from @onehitwonder . The real test will be this weekend - I have 6 helmets to paint and dip. Here is a recent dip, not cleared. So far the booth is serving it's purpose. Low odor and no debris in paint. Thanks again for the insight!

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,988Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Good work! Looks like you’re getting dialed in.
    @MidOhioHydrographics thank you! I insist on learning the basics of anything I try to start. I have absorbed so much information from this forum and conversations with people - how to do things, how not to do things, things to look for etc. I purposefully created multiple scenarios with different conditions to make sure I understood the PROCESS and could operate under various conditions. Different water temp, different films, hydration times, over/under activating, I even prepped film and let it sit in the garage for a week and then dipped with it to see the difference. Dipped only speed shapes over and over and over before I did this helmet. Once I am super comfortable I will upgrade my dip setup and have a more polished approach.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,988Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Nice! Document everything. Photos if you can. You'll want to look back at these tests later.
    Yeah, @MidOhioHydrographics did not make that clear enough... DOCUMENT EVERYTHING.... and then test more, and document that too. Then give back to the forum and share that info with everyone.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,409Member, Moderator El Moderator
    At the very least, consider mounting the intake fan up high on one side and the exhaust fan down low near the floor on the opposite side. Any dust will be pulled down towards the floor instead of directly across the parts you are spraying.