Pricing!

Just curious what others would price this for?  Tank console for Harley Street Glide. 
Anxious to see if I'm even close. Please give an honest answer! Thanks guys

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 10,032Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    What are the measurements so I can get an idea of what I'm looking at?
  • bikerbeardbikerbeard Posts: 44Member
    What are the measurements so I can get an idea of what I'm looking at?
    Roughly 32" L and 8" at it's widest point. 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 10,032Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    For a good, show gloss finish I would be about $200-$225 in my shop.
    I should note we do very little (like... none) automotive/motorcycle work. LOL. But this is still what I would quote if we were doing it again and I was contacted.
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 665Member ✭✭✭
    We charge .50 a square inch
    MidOhioHydrographics
    Thank you! 
    PagesHydroDipping
    Thank you! 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,042Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    For 2-3 coats of clear and buffed, that is at least $250.
    Thank you!  I am curious though..  the whole  .50¢ per sq inch thing that seems to be flying around as the quotable norm. That doesn't seem to make much sense to me. On small parts, you're not making anything and on large parts, it's astronomical! Maybe I'm missing something but as you stated, this part sells easily for $200-250. However, under the . 50¢ rule, it's only about $120 so... 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,042Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    $.50 is just for the dip and a rough shot of clear. I gotta make some money on the extra effort that I have to put in for buffing and clearing techniques.

And for small parts, there has to be a minimum that you get for walking up to your tank. You have to understand that you need to be getting paid for ALL THE TIME YOU SPEND ON THE PROJECT. Prep work isn't free, disassembly isn't free, cleaning isn't free. You probably have an hour into the part before it even hits the water. Imagine that you are going to charge $10/hour to dip something and are going to start getting paid from the moment you turn on the lights, till the moment you turn off the lights... and then realize you only got paid $10/hour. I can fall asleep at work and make that much...
    I'm right there with ya. I just couldn't understand how guys were making $ on
    .50¢ sq in. Film is cheap compared to paint & clear! Plus, my time isn't cheap either lol
    Thanks man! 
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,898Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    And it all depends on the area you live in plus your overhead. @K2Concepts can get $900 to dip a fairing where others have hard time getting $600
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,958Administrator El Jefe

I'm right there with ya. I just couldn't understand how guys were making $ on
    .50¢ sq in. Film is cheap compared to paint & clear! Plus, my time isn't cheap either lol
    Thanks man! 

50 cents a square inch WITH a minimum of $35 a part...dash usually comes out to $600 to $800...THATS how we are making money...
    Well, as looch said, some of it depends on the area where you're located. You can charge more in Urban California, than you can in the rural southeast. 
    I appreciate the feedback gentlemen 👍
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 967Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    We charge a minimum of 35 bucks for real small parts, you'd never make any money if you did them by the sq inch/.50.unless you can jig them up, dipping multiple small items in one dip.. that's how you make money. Clear coat is always figured in our shop on top of the dip.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,898Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a $45 minimum . I do all custom stuff and do it by hours its gonna take plus materials 
  • midnight_dippermidnight_dipper Posts: 74Member ✭✭

Thank you!  I am curious though..  the whole  .50¢ per sq inch thing that seems to be flying around as the quotable norm. That doesn't seem to make much sense to me. On small parts, you're not making anything and on large parts, it's astronomical! Maybe I'm missing something but as you stated, this part sells easily for $200-250. However, under the . 50¢ rule, it's only about $120 so... 

@bikerbeard, you said the overall dimension is about 8"w x 32"L, does that include how far it goes down on the sides and ends or just measuring across the top? I usually figure what size I need to cut the film for the part I'm dipping and use that measurement to get a starting price.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,958Administrator El Jefe
    edited February 12
    Yes it is UP the side...across the top and then DOWN the other side...then measure the length the same way...again on small parts if you can make money at $35 to $50 for a Chevy Emblem? Man you are really doing something wrong...Remeber I said “50 cents per square inch with a MINIMUM of $35 A PART...every single small part is an additional $35...regardless of how small it is...

As for larger parts?...I don’t see why $750 for a custom Jeep dash is astronomical?...Just like a complete Polaris Sling Shot comes out to $4500...for a custom paint job AND Hydrographics ?...Yea I would say that not astronomical....