What’s causing this

Just cleared it, what’s causing the cracks/wrinkles? And yes the dip was an abortion there, tried to chintz on film 🤷🏻‍♂️

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,089Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Looks like your base coat got soft based on the clear you used. Guessing aerosol paint and clear?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 10,077Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    That's your base coat wrinkling up. My guess is your clear & base are not compatible. Let's get more info on your process.

What is the substrate material? (My guess is HDPE since it looks like a hardhat)
    Did you flame treat the HDPE? What other prep was done?
    What kind of base paint did you use and how was it applied?
    How long did the base dry before dipping?
    How does the dip look? How long after dipping did you clear?
    What kind of clear did you use and how was it applied?
  • kpn68kpn68 Posts: 3Member
    Yea aerosol base, paint gun clear(although its that no mixing necessary stuff)

Yea hard hat, no flame treating. Base dried for 6 hours ish. Dip looked great on the front, like i said i screwed up and shorted myself on film, so from half way back its all stretched. Dipped it yesterday and clear coat this morning, so id guess 15 hours or so between dip and clear.
    Rustoleum primer as base and duplicolor clear coat
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 10,077Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Well... I hate to say it but your problem is.... all of it.
    (1) You sprayed an incompatible base paint
    (2) on an improperly prepped substrate,
    (3) dipped with insufficient amount of under activated film, and
    (4) applied an aerosol single stage clear coat
    (5) over a paint that was never designed to have clear applied over it
    (6) your paint was too cured to ever accept a clear coat
    (7) and your Clear was not designed to be compatible with that paint

Save yourself some time and money and Start by reading this forum for a while. You’ll see you’re not the only one this has happened to. This process is very difficult (despite all the YouTube vids saying otherwise) and it takes compatible products that work with the process and with are compatible with each other.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,089Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    On the bright side... It can only get better from here.
  • kpn68kpn68 Posts: 3Member
    Lol true enough ^

Thanks for the input
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,988Administrator El Jefe

On the bright side... It can only get better from here.

He he he...
  • MCdynaMCdyna Posts: 25Member
    I got the same problem.. Also with a hard head. But, I used the exact same combination on a speedshape. That came out perfect. 
    It starts to crack after the clear. 
    edited September 9
    @MCdyna what prep was done to the hard hat before painting?
    What base paint and what clear?
    Your clear is attacking and wrinkling the basecoat. If you are using aerosols, this is the cause.
  • MCdynaMCdyna Posts: 25Member
    But I used that same aerosol on 4 other things.. With the same clearcoat. Perfect. 
    Isn't it the material or some kind of layer of the plastic? 
    edited September 10
    That's why I asked what prep you did on the plastic. Different substrates will require different prep and/or primers/adhesion promoters to get proper adhesion. Do a cross hatch adhesion test, even on an area where it didn't wrinkle, and see if your paint hooked. I am guessing you'll lift the paint.

You also may have been too close/too heavy when applying the clear and the propellants reacted with the base coat.
    This is why we say you can't get consistent results with aerosols, because they aren't consistent. When you are starting out they are variables that should be eliminated while you try to are trying to improve your process.
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 439Member ✭✭✭
    No way around proper prep especially with HDPE plastics. ditch the rattle cans. If you are just experimenting with the process and have to use spray cans use something designed for the process like OHW or Nanochem paints.