Activation issues..I think.

I’ve read discussions on here until my eyes have bled and I’m certain that I already know the answer to my questions. However, with that said I’d like some advice. 

I started with a my dip kit purchase and the item turned out..ok. So I did some research and let me add that I am on a very tight budget. I’ve constructed my own tank out of and old deep freezer. Works..ok. I’m using OHW paint and activator now (aerosol). Until I can afford and air gun. And I have purchased some camo film from Kansas hydrographics. Also my tank was at 76 degrees when I dipped the switch cover. 

Thanks to anyone who has advice. I am a Law Enforcement Officer and I’m looking to not only start an expensive hobby but make some $$ here and there on some local gun stocks, tumblers etc. 

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,866Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum from nj and 90 degrees is the normal temp and camo usually takes alot of activator 
  • PagesHydroDippingPagesHydroDipping Posts: 654Member ✭✭✭
    Under activated
  • mrkasparksmrkasparks Posts: 12Member
    looch said:
    Welcome to the forum from nj and 90 degrees is the normal temp and camo usually takes alot of activator 
    Tomorrow I will try again. I knew the water was cold but also thought a longer soak time would have helped. I soaked for 90 seconds and made 3 attempts. Each time applying more activator but each dip yielded the same results. 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,952Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Welcome!

Did you dip it into the film at a steep angle? Almost looks like it trapped some air as well.
    Welcome! Did you dip it into the film at a steep angle? Almost looks like it trapped some air as well.
    I did 3 plates and all at about a 45
    Welcome! Did you dip it into the film at a steep angle? Almost looks like it trapped some air as well.
    And Thank you. I’ve read and read and read some more as everyone states very clearly to do. Also I am trying to be patient with myself due to the lack of good equipment which is an apparent necessity for great results. But I would like to get as good of results as I can with what I have. I appreciate the advice and look forward to learning this process. 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,952Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    No problem! Just looks under activated then.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,956Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Good equipment is necessary for average results. Good techniques and experience is necessary for great results. That's why we say this isn't a cheap hobby.
    Hey guys if you don’t mind I have another question. I’ve let the pets dry over night and they are still tacky. It’s as if the ink hasn’t thoroughly dried and I can actually leave a finger print indent in it. Again I’m using one hit wonder medium tan with Kansas hydro film camo. 
    * parts. Not pets. My bad 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,392Member, Moderator El Moderator

Hey guys if you don’t mind I have another question. I’ve let the pets dry over night and they are still tacky. It’s as if the ink hasn’t thoroughly dried and I can actually leave a finger print indent in it. Again I’m using one hit wonder medium tan with Kansas hydro film camo. 

Could be too much paint. Could be too much activator. Could be the paint wasn't dry enough before dipping. Could be a combination of any/all of these.

As a side note, kinda like going to the doctor and you say "it hurts when I press here" and the doctor replies "Well, don't do that". People here say the print smears when I rub on it when rinsing. Don't touch the print. If it's slightly dry or tacky, it will dry. If you press on it, it will dry with a fingerprint in it.
    Guys I very much appreciate the input and I will be buying an air gun for applying activator. I’m certain that will help my activation issues and I’ll keep plugging away at this until I get it. Then when I think I got it I’m sure some Treller will come up! Haha. Thanks again!
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,868Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    It definitely takes time and patience. Even if it's just a hobby to mess around training is the best thing u can do. It cost some money up front but man does it save alot more money in the long run. I did it 6 months trying on my own and was getting decent results but after training my bad dips went 90 percent down. Everyone gets bad dips trying new films or an awkward part but training definitely is worth every cent as long as its a reputable trainer