Hello, A penny for your thoughts?

Long time lurker without an account just signed up. I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I want to get into dipping. I just started a Metal CNC and laser engraving company. I had a successful 1st year in business and want to expand into other revenues to keep me busy. I also think adding dipped items I cut out of the different materials will help them sell for a higher price.
I'm getting cold feet on making my own dip tank out of an ice chest. it's 4x2x2. I searched and read for days on all the opinions and it doesn't seem like the best route for me. I found two "pro" tanks near me that I can afford. I'm 100% debt free, only the bills everyone has to pay; power, internet, food, insurance. I have a small cushion to fall back on. buying the more $$ tank would eat pretty much all my cushion @ $5k the other tank is $2k. My main questions are: (couldn't really find a good answer on here)
5K tank https://www.liquidconcepts.com/shop/product-detail/72-tank
2K tank http://www.hydrodip.com/shop/plastic_hydro_dip_tanks/?ProductID=3869
I know the 5k tank is million times better and priced right correct?
1.) those of you that DIY having had gone through everything would you do it again or bite the bullet and buy and "pro" setup.
2.) the wash bay or rinse area. can I just upgrade my utility sink to a 40 in. x 24 in. x 33 in with a good nozel gun and be ok?
Thank you all for the posts and opinions you have given on here they have helped me already. Just wanted to get more of a 1 on 1 opinion with my current situation.

Comments

• SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,485Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would most definitely spend the money on a pro tank.... thank me later !
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,392Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Agreed about the good tank.

As far as the rinse station goes, all you need is a hose with a nozzle on it, technically. How it's made other than that is personal preference. Your sink should make a good base for it.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,956Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Second option. Hire out the dipping for someone near you to gauge the market. I would hate to see you sink one business in an effort to run 2?
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 409Member ✭✭✭
    Pro tank and training. It will be a while before you can dip good enough to sell anything, training will shorten the learning curve. I have a Liquid concepts tank and have no issues. I started with a Ozark tank that was too small that's why I suggest train before you purchase your tank that way you get a idea on what you need first. I have purchased everything twice because I tried to do it cheap. Cheap and hydrographics don't work. @WileECoyote has some great advice no sense in dropping $30,000 on something that may not sell.
  • LordLoshLordLosh Posts: 3Member
    That's good advice. Training. Do any of you offer or can suggest any training classes available. I'd love to travel out to someone that has a pro set up and be a free laborer for a week or less. 
    Nothing is close to me to even go that route of checking with others. Other than people that have the freezer chest setups
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,868Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    @LordLosh depending where u are located Jim @K2Concepts is in Cali , Big Brain Graphics is in Louisiana, liquid concepts is on Arkansas, PA hydrographics is in PA , one hit wonder is in Georgia . Thats for training not free labor lol
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,861Administrator El Jefe
    @LordLosh Stay away from Hydrodip.com...already heard way too many complaints about them...
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,791Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!
  • LordLoshLordLosh Posts: 3Member
    ok I got the tank, I got the power working and the inline heater plumbing done. Got the tank filled.
    Now need to find how much drop towards the pump should you have? Or do you want it perfectly level? I did a slight tilt towards the pump? Also newb question why two heaters on the pump side and not on dip side?
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,868Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    You circulate the hot water from the scavage side to heat.  Can heat the scavage faster than the dip side. Also heaters on dip side can cause air bubbles to mess up the dip I keep my tank level not sure if thats the right way just the way I do it
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,485Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    @LordLosh , I don't see how tilting a tank would make a difference ... The water will level itself either way ...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,952Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited January 14
    Sreynolds said:

@LordLosh , I don't see how tilting a tank would make a difference ... The water will level itself either way ...

Correct. But tilting the tank would make the jets more above or below the water. You want them just below the water level.
    Post edited by MidOhioHydrographics on
    Used LC tank...good find...little tall for me but it's a solid tank I believe...
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,392Member, Moderator El Moderator

Used LC tank...good find...little tall for me but it's a solid tank I believe...

So is a shoe box.... =)
    NotSoFast said:

So is a shoe box.... =)
    Douche...