Activator spray gun advice?

dbvogldbvogl Posts: 4Member
I was at Harbor Freight looking around and saw they have paint spray guns. Is anyone is using these guns for applying activator? Central Pneumatic, 1.5, 20 oz. HVLP. Inexpensive and was wondering if I can get away with using this to start out? I am using the Liquid Concepts activator to start. Thanks!

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts El Jefe Posts: 14,024Administrator El Jefe
    Most (MOST) guys I know who bought them? Threw them away...In my opinion? You are just asking for trouble with those guns...
  • RBurressRBurress El Moderator Posts: 1,553Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited April 2014
    Started with one, you get what you pay for. You will fight over activation and try to adjust to it and burn up film, paint, etc. That money you burn up could buy you a quality gun. My opinion, the activator gun is right next to having a good tank to be successful. Since we went to the Air Gunsa 1.8 we have had much better results.
    Post edited by RBurress on
  • CoastalHydrographicsCoastalHydrographics ✭✭✭✭✭ Posts: 3,047Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    My activator gun is my best gun. Just like @RBurress said. Your activator gun is very important.When i first started i used a kobalt for a min then had no choice but to invest in a good gun. makes all the difference in the world. atleast for me it did.
  • wicked_dipzwicked_dipz ✭✭✭ Posts: 564Member ✭✭✭
    Wait till you guys try a sagola no more leaking nozzles.
  • kansashydrokansashydro ✭✭✭✭✭ Posts: 856Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get the 1.8 air gunsa at k2shoponline.com you can thank me later!
  • RBurressRBurress El Moderator Posts: 1,553Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Wait till you guys try a sagola no more leaking nozzles.

Hate a leaky tip..lol
    Which model are you using wicked?
  • MasterjqxMasterjqx ✭✭✭ Posts: 990Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    I started with a central pneumatic worked great on TWN films but over activated on brents, as Burrs said, easy to over activate, chew paint, chew film, gave me more of a headake then it was worth.. went to lowes bought the kobalt special, 2 guns both 1.4 tips for 99 dollars, extra 1.8 tip is available aswell, forget what i paid for it.. was under 50$. the difference in the two guns blew my mind.

the kobalt guns will work great for me untill i can afford a GOOD activator gun.
  • wicked_dipzwicked_dipz ✭✭✭ Posts: 564Member ✭✭✭
    Ive used the 4500 xtreme for awhile but there was a group buy on a forum and I picked up a sagola 3300pro at a hell of a deal to dedicate for activator.
  • BIGGAME510BIGGAME510 ✭✭ Posts: 295Member ✭✭
    Im using one as we speak, u get what u pay for gonna get a new one i paid like 15$ for it it drips spits and does all kinda stuff u don't want it to do. I was doing a case cover for an iPad yesterday and it spit i dipped anyway to c what would happen just for the experience. where the droplets hit over activated and pealed then the film cracked so one more thing i know now
  • LeoLeo Posts: 83Member
    I'm not experienced enough to know these guns are garbage, but I've been using a central pneumatics gun for a while and so far I've had no problems, These guns are making it possible to save for a better set of guns. I wouldn't recommend them to any one, but if that's what you have...
    I guess my point is that if the cheap gun is going to cost you money in other places like burnt film, painting twice and your labor to re-do a part...not to mention the inconsistent results that really don't teach you anything more than "Hey I got lucky on THAT part"? Are you REALLY saving?...Not really...better to stash your cash and buy a good gun. The only reason for buying a cheap gun is impatience...let's call a spade a spade here...
  • JeremyJeremy ✭✭✭ Posts: 1,121Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    This is just my opinion but im in New Zealand and i purchased a Devilbiss starting line kit (2 Guns) and they seem to do me fine, the moment i have any problems i will be getting a gun off Jim at the k2shoponline.com store the same gun over here is more expensive and Jim's guns come set up.....no brainer really (just my opinion thats all)
  • CoquitlamCoquitlam Posts: 111Member
    Jeremy said:

This is just my opinion but im in New Zealand and i purchased a Devilbiss starting line kit (2 Guns) and they seem to do me fine, the moment i have any problems i will be getting a gun off Jim at the k2shoponline.com store the same gun over here is more expensive and Jim's guns come set up.....no brainer really (just my opinion thats all)

Just finished sending Jim money for the 1.8 . Can`t wait

Coquitlam said:

Jeremy said:

Just finished sending Jim money for the 1.8 . Can`t wait

Ordered it and it should be here in a day or so...I will shoot a video on setting it up if you don't mind...might as well shoot a video from start to finish set up on these...
  • dbvogldbvogl Posts: 4Member
    I wound up buying a Husky kit to start. Once I get more $$$ I'll invest in a good one. Thanks for all the information.
  • bforesterbforester ✭✭ Posts: 51Member ✭✭
    dbvogl said:

I wound up buying a Husky kit to start. Once I get more $$$ I'll invest in a good one. Thanks for all the information.

How'd the Husky set work for you?

• blazingcoatingsblazingcoatings ✭✭✭ Posts: 413Member ✭✭✭
    Just think Ferrari and Lamborghini are made and Italy and so is the Air Gunsa. The gun is high quality and worth every penny. 
  • PanamaCityHydroPanamaCityHydro ✭✭✭ Posts: 554Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I have the harbor freight, complete garbage. as a beginner its like cutting my hands off just for fun while trying to sort out an entire shops worth of bugs and equipment.. the guns leak, anything you leave in the gun will end up on the floor while the gun is on the hook. they also seem to require an extremely high pressure to atomize which in my mind is unsafe since the guns max rating is 40 PSI. I could not get the gun to atomize at a reasonable pressure so in effect it would overactivate/eat up film and paint. no point in introducing uncontrollable variables into your flow. I recently bought one of the equipment packages on here so I now am the proud owner of a fair bit of quality items and I would still feel more comfortable stepping up my activator game to one of K2's GPIs just for the reliability and repeatability factor. more money upfront but less TIME, product, and material wasted in the long run messing with inferior tools.
  • OverCoatsOverCoats ✭✭✭ Posts: 359Member ✭✭✭
    I started with the husky set at first and did ok with it but had very inconsistent results. I saved up and bought a GPi and that thing is like waving a magic wand over the film. I still use the husky's for base coat occasionally. uhh.. this post is like 2 years old lol
  • PanamaCityHydroPanamaCityHydro ✭✭✭ Posts: 554Member ✭✭✭
    It's ok...The information is valuable and timeless...
  • 2legiit2legiit Posts: 6Member
    Hello Im new to all of this. Im looking for a good gun. I feel that the devilbliss starting kit would be too cheep. Any one use this gun or recommend another one. Also looking for recommendation for a primer/clear gun.Thanks
  • smedlinsmedlin ✭✭✭✭✭ Posts: 2,211Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    @2legiit , you looking for a good activator gun? Devilbiss GPI.

I don't paint with it though, just activation.
    @smedlin Yea I have heard great things about the GPI for an activator gun and thinking about just spending the money and getting it. I was just curious why no one paints with it. Any recommendations for a gun to paint with?
  • smedlinsmedlin ✭✭✭✭✭ Posts: 2,211Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30
    @2legiit , different guns for different things.

Because of the way the GPI atomizes, it's one of the best activator guns there is ( @K2Concepts could say more about that one)

but for painting, there are better.

I use an Iwata LPH400-LV for painting and an Iwata LPH400-LVX Extreme for clearing. Great guns.. the best? No, there are better.

I do have 2 of the mini guns that @K2Concepts sells. And i REALLY REALLY need to use them more often, would save on over spray on smaller projects... but I just love the LPH400's.
    @smedin Thanks for the feedback will definitely be getting the GPI. A lot of my projects will be small so I guess I should look into getting a mini gun as well. What kind of mini gun did you say you had good results with?
  • loochlooch ✭✭✭✭✭ Posts: 1,927Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy the gpi and a mini or two from @K2Concepts
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips ✭✭✭✭✭ Posts: 1,902Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @2legiit the ANI mini guns are awesome. I have 2 of the 1.0 and 1 of the 1.2 and they spray great.  For clear the 1.0 or the 1.2 will work great for small jobs
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics El Moderator Posts: 10,101Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited January 31
    @smedlin why you using the LVX for clear when it’s called an “extreme base coat” gun?
    https://anestiwata.com/product/lph400-lvx/

We use the LPH400-LVX for base and LS400 Supernova for clears. In my humble opinion, they’re the best guns out there for those purposes. I do know many people that use the regular LPH400 for clear and love it.

For Activator? None better than the Devilbiss GPI.

Can you paint and clear with lesser quality guns? Absolutely. These guns will help make the job easier for a less talented operator (like myself).

But typically I don’t ever recommend less than an Iwata Air Gunsa