Soft touch clear coat removal.

Hi people. We have some parts that we need redo but we cant get the soft touch clear sanded down. We use U.S paint insignia soft touch, that stuff is nice. But now qe can't remove it. We try sand it down with any grit of sand paper even 180 with no result, we dont want start over again from sandblast we was just thinking about scuff and repaint but we find that difficult. 

Anyone have this same problem?

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 10,264 El Moderator
    You can't scuff and repaint soft touch clear. You must start over, unfortunately. I would recommend a chemical stripper to remove the topcoat first. We use a few various types depending on the substrate. If it's a chemical resistant plastic, just use normal fast-acting paint/epoxy stripper. If it's a sensitive material, try a citrus based stripper that is less aggressive. Test them to be sure they won't damage the substrate.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 7,332 El Moderator
    You have to understand that when you use soft touch clear, that its top coat only. Trying to go over the top of that is not possible, it is an unstable base under something you want to be stable. It's literally like trying to build a house on top of jello.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Administrator Posts: 14,118 El Jefe

You have to understand that when you use soft touch clear, that its top coat only. Trying to go over the top of that is not possible, it is an unstable base under something you want to be stable. It's literally like trying to build a house on top of jello.

This as well...
  • dodevildodevil Member Posts: 77
    Its abs, start over in this will be sad because the part is perfect, the customer just change his mind about the soft touch after few months. Now I learn the lesson in the hard way. I just quote him thinking on just scuff and apply regular clear. Now I need redone everything from scratch for the price of just topcoat. 

Thank for your help one more time.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 10,264 El Moderator
    Be careful with ABS as it will definitely dissolve with most paint strippers. You may be stuck. What is the part? May be cheaper to buy a new one than recoat that one.
    Dash parts. Yes maybe I will get that route. Just buy I use set. And try to sell this ones on craigslist. At least they are jeep parts so they are easy to find and sell. At least they are relatively cheap parts. 

Also I have another quick question about soft touch. They all attract dust? It's not sticky we can wipe the dust easily, but they always look dirty. Any advice about that? Wax, armor all, wd40?

Not sure why someone would want soft touch on a dash for exactly that reason. People like it on firearms, game controllers, cell phone cases, etc. because they are being held... I wouldn't recommend it for a part that just sits there.
    now he understand that, thankfully he know that was his bad decision. we make a soft touch tumbler for him and he love the grip, then just ask for that for the dash, its look awesome and almost OEM but it is dirty all the time. no way to make it cleaner right?
  • studebakerstudebaker Member, Business Ninja Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't a coat of armorall make the dash less prone to catch dirt and even make it a little shinier?

I wouldn't do anything with Armor All in my shop. Maybe just have him apply it in the car after it's installed and in the next county.
    Next county, LoL. We work with dealer and they put cheap armor all over everything, you can't even drive the car without get all greasy. Yes that is a mess in the shop.

Yes armor all make it shine but when dry it attracts even more.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 7,332 El Moderator
    I am guessing its the surface of the soft touch abrading because it really is "soft" not that its actually looking dirty?
    Sometimes I thing the this clear don't cure properly, it takes hours to dry. I'm maybe doing something wrong? This is 8:1:1 mix. But here in central Florida humidity is giving me problems and they don't have a fast reducer option. I read that winchester had problem with the soft touch getting sticky, and I think they use this brand because guy in twn told me that. So?
  • TrayersSlayersTrayersSlayers Member Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Not sure why someone would want soft touch on a dash for exactly that reason. People like it on firearms, game controllers, cell phone cases, etc. because they are being held... I wouldn't recommend it for a part that just sits there.
    BMW puts it on some of there dash and interior parts. Had a guy stop by other day wanted me to resort 6 parts from his BMW interior for $20. I laughed at him.