Tinting OHW blinder.

dodevildodevil Posts: 77Member
It's. Buy and tint the OHW binder? Or midcoat? We are looking to improve our process but we have a whole paint machine with a automotive urethane system . We just love the idea of longer dip window and also no primer needed. We can purchase the white and silver base but for customs color tinting the midcoat is an option?

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 10,032Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @onehitwonder will have to chime in on this one.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,042Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I think JJ would have to know the tints to approve the mix. I am guessing some could effect the paint?
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 1,055Member ✭✭✭
    I buy solvent pigments from my local automotive paint store. It only takes a very small amount to tint the intercoat. Seems to work just fine. I have used both OHW and Nason intercoat to do this.
  • dodevildodevil Posts: 77Member
    We are thinking this may be cost effective, because with this system looks like we dont need AP or primer, so if we take that cost out, we can just buy plain white OHW and save on this products. Sound like a good deal to my. Even if we coat over it with our paint. 

This make sense? IF that is true, why we still read people using AP and epoxy? 

What about corrosion resistance with OHW without epoxy?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,958Administrator El Jefe
    Some guys have a hard time with OHW...there is no "Silver Bullet" in this industry... @MidOhioHydrographics still uses AP and paint for their production line because it is still cheaper even with labor factored in...same with us...and some guys on here have mixing banks and are under contract to their suppliers so they can't switch even if they wanted to...

Different strokes for different folks...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,042Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    When you leave a good AP in the gun all the time, and it dries in under 3 minutes, there REALLY is no additional cost to using it. A water based paint solves A LOT of problems with product incompatibility, and I have NEVER seen it react with the activator...

But to a lot of guys, that extra 3 minutes must just KILL their process time... you know, where they turn out 4 parts a month?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,958Administrator El Jefe

But to a lot of guys, that extra 3 minutes must just KILL their process time... you know, where they turn out 4 parts a month?

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 10,032Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

When you leave a good AP in the gun all the time, and it dries in under 3 minutes, there REALLY is no additional cost to using it. A water based paint solves A LOT of problems with product incompatibility, and I have NEVER seen it react with the activator...

LMAO ouch...

But.. In their defense... A "one paint for all" does make it easier than doing the due diligence. Hell I still keep a couple dozen OHW Aerosols just for cups and small jobs. Custom work only. Can't afford it for production. We keep a pressure pot full of NanoChem AP at all times. It is a light dusting, a very small volume. So I buy that in bulk, and Prime Coatings Aqualac in bulk, and it comes in much cheaper than any all-in-one paint I have tried. And coverage w the Aqualac is about 40-55% better per our testing of different paints. No brainer for us, but it took a lot of testing to get here. Any production account is worth testing every option you can. Saving 50 cents per part adds up over a year.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,808Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be ok to tint OHW as long as you’re, “tinting”, not building. Who are you using in the mix bank?
  • dodevildodevil Posts: 77Member
    We use a brand call automotive arts and the system is Motobase. How much is tinting? About 10% like tinting raptor bedliner?
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,808Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭