Tumblers and mailboxes questions, a lot of them.

dodevildodevil Posts: 77Member
We want start doing some tumblers and mailboxes for a flea market and see what happens, also a good way to get some customers for custom works.

But first we put together some questions about it. We find a lot of answer in old post but still have others. I really hope be a source of information in the future and "pay back" all the help than I ask for now. I really appreciate the help that we find in this place.

1. Probably the most important is where to buy in bulk? We read that Wal-Mart is getting cheaper but that is the place to go with bulk? For mailboxes home-depot looks like the better source, but again this is true?

2. Another good question is, is better start with a factory  painted tumbler, or work all the way from the naked ones? I mean with the already painted we dont need the selfetching primer right?

3. Tumbler botton. We saw at least 20 or 30 videos for tumbler dip. Nobody show how look the botton. We are practising with dollar tree cups, and the botton always get twisted in a bad way or not consistent way. Same happens with the plastic mailboxes they are round in the end with no edge to make a nice 2 dips. 

4. Tumbler line, any way to avoid the line when rolling. Probably not, but we saw some people doing the line in a kind of angle so it will be less noticeable but they dont show that part.

5. We buy a turntable for paint the tumblers that may work in production? or static will be better?

6. For mailboxes, what can be better, steel or plastic? All the videos use metal ones, so I'm regretting my impulsive bought of 40 plastic ones. Steel are already painted and will use less prep.

We use spray SEM self etching primer, that usually work good for our automotive paint jobs. But i feel it dont work so good in the tumblers. Any advice about that?

Any additional tip about tumblers and mailboxes will be super welcome.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry for grammars mistakes, English is not my first language, i are trying it very hard.

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,950Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dodevil were are you located? Most people dont dip bottom of tumbler for two reasons it gets beat up plus it doesnt look good all swirled up on bottom leave it uncoated. I perfer unpainted ones the paint on them is crap and flakes off. You can use a paint like @onehitwonder or others that dont require a primer to speed up process. And mailboxes check walmart i found them cheaper
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 2,240Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whew.

First.. just curious, where ya from? You said English is not your first language. You speak (write) it pretty darn good! Very good...

So.. let's answer a few of these. Others will chime in I'm sure

1. Probably the most important is where to buy in bulk? We read that Wal-Mart is getting cheaper but that is the place to go with bulk? For mailboxes home-depot looks like the better source, but again this is true?

Wall-mart has some sales sometimes. But most of us who deal with tumblers buy them in bulk..like buy them by the cases. There are several different whole-sale suppliers. I personally like Irene who sales the HOGG cups. I like the "unbranded" ones. Meaning there is no logo stamped on them. I buy them 2 or 3 cases at a time.

She went from selling them on her personal FB page, to a FB business page, to a full blown web site, and now sells them on amazon.

https://thestainlessdepotcompany.com/

2. Another good question is, is better start with a factory painted tumbler, or work all the way from the naked ones? I mean with the already painted we dont need the selfetching primer right?

Errr.. you never know what you get with a factory painted tumbler. I've had clients (friends) who wanted to put a decal and clear coat on an already painted cup. I do it, but I tell them up front I won't guarantee it.

And why are you using self-etching primer on a tumbler? If you don't have a blaster, just scuff if with some sand paper. Easy

On second thought, it's probably cause of the paint your using, yes? What paint is it?

3. Tumbler botton. We saw at least 20 or 30 videos for tumbler dip. Nobody show how look the botton. We are practising with dollar tree cups, and the botton always get twisted in a bad way or not consistent way. Same happens with the plastic mailboxes they are round in the end with no edge to make a nice 2 dips.

If your dipping the underside of the cup, that swirl is going to happen. Think about the angle of the underside of the cup compared to the rest of the cup. If you want the bottom dipped and looking good, you will have to dip it separate.

There are 2 common methods of doing cups. I prefer to tape off the bottom of the cup before I blast/sand and paint. Leaves the bottom area stainless and not going to get beat up. The other way is to do the entire cup. Sometimes they will tape off the bottom so the dip does not get there and they will put a logo or something there.

Check out Chris DePooter's stuff at https://www.facebook.com/deepseecustoms/

4. Tumbler line, any way to avoid the line when rolling. Probably not, but we saw some people doing the line in a kind of angle so it will be less noticeable but they dont show that part.

There will always be a line. Always, it's just a matter of how well you can hide it. Some patterns you can do a "ghost" seam, but not very many. You just can't hide when a skull get's cut in half :)

And that "angle" is not because they are trying to hide it, it's because they rolled it wrong. Or more accurately, they inserted the tumbler into the water wrong.

5. We buy a turntable for paint the tumblers that may work in production? or static will be better?

I use to use something like that. I got tired of having to clean it though.

6. For mailboxes, what can be better, steel or plastic? All the videos use metal ones, so I'm regretting my impulsive bought of 40 plastic ones. Steel are already painted and will use less prep.
    • Plastic is an entire different ball game. A lot more prep work to plastic. Possible flame treating..and..they are just cheap. You want a good long lasting product
    • And the steal ones are not really less prep cause they are painted. It's still the same process. You still have to sand and paint.
    We use spray SEM self etching primer, that usually work good for our automotive paint jobs. But i feel it dont work so good in the tumblers. Any advice about that?

yea, don't use it. Either get a sand blaster or hand sand them.

Any additional tip about tumblers and mailboxes will be super welcome.

Personally, based off the questions your asking... I don't think your ready for flea markets.

Your still trying to work on/figure out the process. You need much more practice first.

But..it's a great goal to have. And the people here can help you get there...

• SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,485Member ✭✭✭✭
    Im buying the 20oz tumblers for three dollars a piece, 16 to a case. But I can only get them about once a month.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,227Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Don't try to paint something and sell it. It's a losing business. You paint a cup green and put a pattern on it and the person will want purple. It never fails.

You aren't ready to start selling. Practice A LOT more on your own stuff and friends products and get your process down, then open up for customers. But if you are asking questions about prep and materials... you aren't ready. Someone is going to come to you and want something painted that you have never seen before, and you will miss deadline after deadline. Just slow down and you will get there.
  • dodevildodevil Posts: 77Member
    Thanks everybody. We live in central florida, and came from venezuela 6 years ago. Yes we are still figurating the how do this stuff. We have more than 10 years in customs automotive paint and restorations, but when become about painting a stainless steel cup, yes we are newbies. We mainly get the tank because the wood grains in the dashes and some other parts to supplement our car bussisnes, just trying to get an additional use for the quite expensive tank.

Yes we have a sandblaster tanks, but we use it for sandblaster car frames and body in order to remove rust with coarse black diamond media. What media do you recommend for the tumblers? And after that still need primer, we use automotive paint, urethane to be more specific.

About painting and sell, we know is a never end about customer preferences, but we really dont find another way to get to know the process. Is not the same see a facebook picture, than a part in your hands. That is why we think about the flea market and car shows, we dont see the tumblers or mailboxes as our bussisnes,  just the way to show what we can do, and maybe get back some money. Any another idea about this regards will be more than welcome.

Some pictures to illustrate what we already did.

BTW we find This process very frustrating at times, and super rewarding when done right. But very very time consuming. I really take my hat off to somebody who can run a profitable bussisnes from this.
    Those are parts YOU guys already did?

And y'all already have an established auto paint business?

Well, this totally changes things.. totally!

Yes we dips that parts for test and for some customers car, usually free with the whole paint job. We are just practicing mostly in junk yard parts.

Yes we have some years working in a home-based ship, doing some restorations and 4x4 customs paint jobs.

Anyway we are completely new in the hydrographics process, a whole different world.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,468Member, Moderator El Moderator
    I agree with @WileECoyote about pre-dipping custom parts. The likelihood of a person wanting the product, pattern, AND color that you dipped a cup is very low. Do a few to show some possibilities, then take custom orders to be dipped after. Much less overhead on your part and the customer gets exactly what he wants and doesn't feel pressured into buying something they only "kind of" want.
    Did you get the tumblers figured out?

• TroubleTrouble Posts: 454Member ✭✭✭
    We have set up a tent at several events to promote our work. I have done some pre dipped tumblers and car emblems because in the past people have asked if we had anything for sale. While it did promote the business and lead to some jobs the pre dipped stuff did not sell well. If you dip Rtic tumblers they will want Yeti or vice versa. Or like others have mentioned they will want a different color. At first we only took cash at the shows. Hundreds of people said if you took credit cards I would buy so we jumped through hoops to be able to process cards mobile and guess what it really didn't do any different than accepting just cash. I say if you are doing samples to promote you business go for it but trying to build a business off of pre dipped stuff probably won't work.
    Trouble said:

At first we only took cash at the shows. Hundreds of people said if you took credit cards I would buy so we jumped through hoops to be able to process cards mobile and guess what it really didn't do any different than accepting just cash. I say if you are doing samples to promote you business go for it but trying to build a business off of pre dipped stuff probably won't work.

Did you use the Square app or similar? My girlfriend used it in her snowball stand for a couple of years and it seems like it worked pretty well and was easy to use.

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,227Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Snowball stand... there is one I had to look up.
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 454Member ✭✭✭
    @NotSoFast I started with a very expensive mobile option from the bank that processed my shop cards. I now have a paypal mobile app. I ditched the high fees and equipment the bank was charging.

@WileECoyote Snowball stands are very busy down south in this heat lol. I'm out in the country now but get my fix every couple of days when I go into town.
    smedlin said:
    Did you get the tumblers figured out?
    I just got someone's from Wal-Mart today. I will do some test in my Sunday "spare" time.
    What paint are you using?

Auto-paint, yes?

That will work fine, but does have a short clear window? Like paint, dip, touch-up, and clear all within one day...

For dipping, most of us use paints made for this processes. The "window" is much longer. Like months.

And I don't know about ALL brands, but most can be used on (blasted/scuffed) metal without a primer.

Snowball stand... there is one I had to look up.

If you started having 90+ degree weather in April and it lasted until Thanksgiving, you'd already know what a snowball stand was. lol Finely shaved ice (the texture of fresh snow, not those snow cone chunks of ice you get at the zoo) covered with a flavorful syrup (not that watery crap you get at the zoo). Optionally also topped with Hershey's syrup, condensed milk, evaporated milk, etc. The stands that serve good snowballs make hundreds of dollars a day. Christy has a day job as a school counselor and was only open from 3:00-5:00 M-F and A few hours on Saturday and would regularly bring home $75-100 a day.

Yeah, We get that here during the summer too, they call them "Shaved Ice/Hawaiian Ice Stands"

We call these snowballs...

I've had the shaved ice, but the flavor syrup is generally way thinner/weaker than ours. Our syrup is made with 20 pounds of sugar dissolved into three gallons of water.
    In the town where I live, maybe 4 miles from my house, is a store called Bahama Bucks.

https://www.bahamabucks.com/

The primary menu item? Snow Cones. It's what they do.. snow cones.

Kind of like a "Baskin Robbins", but for snow cones.

year round business.