Licensing

guamdip671guamdip671 Posts: 3Member
Hello everyone, first time in the community. 

I was wondering is licensing really necessary or is it more for individuals who have their own shop and put it on their wall to ensure the customer that they are dealing with proffesionals?? And if it is necessary what is the process for obtaining a license?? 

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,911Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. I would say it all comes down to the type of work your gonna be doing. If your dipping for some buddies, family and yourself then it wouldn't matter. But if your trying to get into production work dealing with businesses then I would suggest you get everything legit. 
  • guamdip671guamdip671 Posts: 3Member
    Thank you for the advice @DeviousDips . I am sure I am getting into the production work.  However, I am on a small island in the Pacific . Do you know of any online classes or anything ?? 
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,911Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @guamdip671 check at @liquidconcepts I think I seen them post something about a coarse like that
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 2,256Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

However, I am on a small island in the Pacific .

Umm.. You can't just say that without telling us more..

What you mean, you own a small island????
  • ShannonShannon Posts: 221Member ✭✭✭
    @smedlin I’m guessing by his name he is from the island of Guam. It’s a US territory in the western pacific. It’s basically south of Japan(in between Japan and Australia) in the middle of no where
  • guamdip671guamdip671 Posts: 3Member
    @Shannon  @smedlin yess I am currently on guam. Trying to start this business here. Just looking for options to get a license all the way out here. 
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 2,256Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shannon said:

@smedlin I’m guessing by his name he is from the island of Guam. It’s a US territory in the western pacific. It’s basically south of Japan(in between Japan and Australia) in the middle of no where

I know where Guam is.. my wife was born there :)

I don't know why, but when i read the OP post, I read " I own a small island in the pacific.."

I was like...what????
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 10,219Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    What do you mean by licensing? Like being certified/officially trained by a company? I don’t think it’s necessary for business, but training will help you tremendously with getting better more quickly. If you’re meaning licensing with certain Camo companies, then that is a business decision you will have to make if you get enough requests for that Camo.
  • ShannonShannon Posts: 221Member ✭✭✭
    smedlin said:
    I know where Guam is.. my wife was born there :) I don't know why, but when i read the OP post, I read " I own a small island in the pacific.." I was like...what????
    That would makes sense then, also reading your interpretation I would be asking info you own an island why would you be starting a business and not just sitting on the beach drinking beers.

• LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 967Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    @MidOhioHydrographics unless he means a business license.. which would be decided by the local county, or cities in which you have your shop. Some don't require a license, ours didn't, but have to have a sign permit to hang a sign on the building or on a pole out front
  • TroubleTrouble Posts: 457Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    My town requires it. I had to obtain a Federal Tax Id, State Tax ID and Local business license in that order. Its been a few years I think the only one that cost was the local one. The Federal and state was done online. I had to go to my local office for my Parrish License (Louisiana has Parishes instead of counties). You will also have to file local and state sales tax I am required to file monthly.