Issue with Clear Cure?

IceMasterIceMaster Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
Not sure what's going on with one piece I have. I sprayed 3 different parts with clear, 2 of them are buffed and done. The third one however, seems like it scratches really easy and doesn't seem to want to buff out either, like maybe the clear is a touch soft. Been sitting about 36 hours or so now right along side the other two pieces.
My question is, if I redo it, am I fine shooting new clear over top of this after scuffing? Would get redone some time tomorrow likely

thanks

Comments

• smedlinsmedlin Member, Business Ninja Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, if it's just scratches, fresh/new clear will fill them in...

However, all other problems, fresh clear will simply enhance the problem.
  • SkinEDippinSkinEDippin Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    was this the same batch of clear as the other two parts? if so ?? if not does it still finger print? you might have made a mistake when mixing it up, wouldn't be the first time! My two sense is this- either take a gamble and just re-clear over it trapping the bad clear in, hoping for the best, or strip it and redo it now. The choice is yours, the right way would be to strip it and redo it now keeping customer happy, any way you look at it, it sucks! Good luck
  • IceMasterIceMaster Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    @SkinEDippin - no actually, all 3 parts were sprayed with the same mixture, that's why I don't understand it. Other two pieces, I sanded the few dirt nibs out and polished them up real nice. This one however doesn't want to seem to do that
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 10,264 El Moderator
    Even if it was the same mixture, did you spray them at the same time? Same actual batch of clear? If not, then something has to be different. Did you polish at the same time? Pad could have dried material in it compared to new pads on the first projects. Just throwing out ideas. Without knowing every small detail of your process it's hard to say.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 7,332 El Moderator
    edited April 2018
    If it is undercured clear, if you spray another coat on top of it, It is gonna wrinkle worse then (insert Jim's mom joke here). And spraying catalyst or anything on top of it is going to do the same. Bet bet is to get heat on it, don't know what the base is, but don't overheat it. If you take some 1500 grit sand paper and some water, you should be able to scuff it and get a white residue in the water. If it just balls up and rubs over the top of the surface, you have soft clear... Strip it and start over. Some times different base materials act differently to clear. Plastic and metal will feel different after they are cleared. Only real test is sanding.
    Post edited by WileECoyote on
    Everything was the same for all 3 pieces. Used OHW as the base coat and all 3 were sprayed within 10 minutes of each other with the same batch of clear mixed up.

@WileECoyote - sanding it, it sands just like any other one I've did. Sands nice but when I went to buff it out, would either go foggy/hazy or mark real easy
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 7,332 El Moderator
    You got solvent trapped in there for some reason. I say put some low, dry heat on it.

You got solvent trapped in there for some reason. I say put some low, dry heat on it.

Okay, I'll give that a go. Thanks @WileECoyote
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Member Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭✭
    and wet sand or red scotch brite the part! it will help vent out the solvents!
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Administrator Posts: 14,118 El Jefe

If it is undercured clear, if you spray another coat on top of it, It is gonna wrinkle worse then (insert Jim's mom joke here).

• onehitwonderonehitwonder Member, Business Ninja Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the clear is on different materials (plastic, metal etc.) there is a good chance the clear may be pulling plastsizers from the plastic which can increase cure time
    I ended up putting one of those electric oil heaters underneath it. Had it on boards so the heater sat a couple feet below the actual part and put the heater on 85 degrees. Let it sit for 24 hours and it seemed to really help. Thanks for the suggestion @WileECoyote