Compressed air temperature

SpinnerSpinner Posts: 224Member ✭✭✭
My air compressor is outside the shop in a non climate controlled shed. A copper airline runs from the compressor about 90 feet through attic space into a garage which is heated to a nice room temperature.

The air coming from the spray guns is fridged to say the least on days like today. My painted and cleared parts don't seem to have suffered from this air/spray temperature, but I'm sure this is not an ideal situation. The spray gun in my hand becomes very cold. In the summer, the opposite problem poses itself... with air temps in the attic way up in the mid-hundreds.

So this crossed my mind today...

What if I placed a coil of copper in the bottom of my dip tank to regulate the air temperature in the pipe year round? The tank is always between 70 - 90 degrees. Moisture from the air condensing is the only issue I can think of as a problem. But I can put a dryer/filter after that to catch the moisture.

Is this a feasible solution? Or am I out of my mind? LOL Maybe leave well enough alone?

Comments

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 2,108Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

Your correct on the thought that come summer, your going to have moister issues. Specially depending on were you are.

My shop is in the garage, not climate controlled at all. I'm in South Texas, right on the Gulf Coast. Let's just say that during the summer the humidity is bad.

Why during the summer and not the winter? Simple reason. Because Hot air retains water.

Most dipping is done at 90F. Your going to want your air to be cooler than that.

A lot of us have an actual air-cooler (a type of fridge unit) that the air pumps thru. It's only purpose is to cool the air down.

When the air cools down, the moister will drop out of it.

They not cheap though. But here in the deep south, worth every penny.

I have one made by IR, which works very good. I know HB makes one also.

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,956Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yes your clear is suffering from the temp of the air. Heat that air up and you will see a HUGE difference in how it lays down on your parts. Yes you are out of your mind, you are talking about fixing one uncontrolled process by throwing a variable into a fairly controlled process. Your concept is just fine, just don't do it in your tank.

Perfect conditions for painting are as follows.
    1. Part at around 70°
    2. Gun air at 70°
    3. Booth air at 70°

For clearing, you can raise those temps up a little, but its a trade off. Your clear will flow out a little better and be smoother, but it also dries faster, and if you spray light, you are gonna have peel.