Paint ball equipment

SeufertSeufert Member Posts: 63
So I have a local paint ball shop inquiring on dipping some air tanks for them as advertising. These things take a beating hanging off the guns let me tell you. NINJA is the company offering facrory dipped tanks then they coat them with what everyone is calling a gel coat. Any idea what this might be or suggestions on what to use that is durable so the dip holds up for a while? 

Comments

• norcalfranknorcalfrank Member Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭
    Could be a 2 part epoxy. I've seen tumblers done in it.
  • smedlinsmedlin Member, Business Ninja Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check into the new Graffiti Gloss from Big Brains.

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 7,332 El Moderator
    Any automotive grade 2K paint is going to be your most available (color selection), and about as durable as you can expect for paint that you can easily dip too. The gel coat is pretty tough stuff, but its going to be too cured out by the time you get to it to dip, so I would scuff it, and hit it with something you can use easily. Not even gel coat holds up to that abuse, so it will be AT LEAST as durable as what they put on... there is no magic coating that holds up to everything.
  • SeufertSeufert Member Posts: 63
    Do we know what this gel coat stuff is? Something that is applyed by gun I would guess, just curious? Seems when it gets hit hard enough to make it lift it comes off in a large almost glass like chunk but holds up great when scrached.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 10,264 El Moderator
    @WileECoyote Would the gel coat be applied overtop? Used like a clear over the dip?
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen gelcoat used in a brush on form from a guy making fiberglass molds. Not sure if they have spray on or not but that stuff is tough. 
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Administrator Posts: 14,118 El Jefe
    Probably Ecoat...tough stuff...

But I suggest you guys start looking at KG Gun Coat...we will be offering a class here very shortly...stuff is the shizz...
  • smedlinsmedlin Member, Business Ninja Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

But I suggest you guys start looking at KG Gun Coat...we will be offering a class here very shortly...stuff is the shizz...

I've never heard of that. I had to google it.

Where are you going to have classes? What will it cover? It seems really interesting.

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 10,264 El Moderator
    edited March 2018
    KG is an alternative to Cerakote, but much cheaper and some say better (I tend to agree in certain areas). It’s a fantastic product. The only thing they lack is the advertising behind the product like Cerakote has. The Cerakote name is why I went with them. It’s used much more commonly by manufacturers, and I wanted OEM production work. And it worked. Had one of the major pistol manufacturers contact me just because I was production hydro and Cerakote under one roof.
    I'll have to check out that KG gun coat, may be the way to go if it's as tough. Thanks!
    edited March 2018
    Probably Ecoat...tough stuff... But Isuggest you guys start looking at KG Gun Coat...we will be offering a class here very shortly...stuff is the shizz...
    @K2Concepts Jim have you ever considered doing on line seminars when it comes to this kind of stuff? Paid for seats in a class if you will. I think it would really help open up some training possibilitys for guys in the east coast that can't spring for a trip across the country.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Seufert he has held training in ohio. I don't kno where your located but that's alot closer to the east coast. Has had the at Mid Ohio place in mansfield ohio 
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Member Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

I have this on a couple of guns. It's pretty good stuff. Mine held up pretty good until I put my hunting gun in a case, and it rubbed on the zipper.

There is another gun coat out there that has Teflon in it. Seems to be real good too. I'll try and get the name of it.
    Post edited by norcalfrank on
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Member, Moderator, Business Ninja Posts: 7,332 El Moderator
    @MidOhioHydrographics The gel coat is the black matte finish that parts come with, I was just using the terminology that the OP used, but I agree, its probably actually E-Coat
    Seufert said:

But Isuggest you guys start looking at KG Gun Coat...we will be offering a class here very shortly...stuff is the shizz...

@K2Concepts Jim have you ever considered doing on line seminars when it comes to this kind of stuff? Paid for seats in a class if you will. I think it would really help open up some training possibilitys for guys in the east coast that can't spring for a trip across the country.

We were extremely close to doing that a couple months ago but just could not get everything together...but it is still in the cards...

Bottom line is that it is extremely difficult to be all things to all people...I have done 4 classes on the East Coast in the last 5 years and I just can't fly everywhere anymore...too disruptive on our business here at home...
    Probably Ecoat...tough stuff... But Isuggest you guys start looking at KG Gun Coat...we will be offering a class here very shortly...stuff is the shizz...
    We were extremely close to doing that a couple months ago but just could not get everything together...but it is still in the cards... Bottom line is that it is extremely difficult to be all things to all people...I have done 4 classes on the East Coast in the last 5 years and I just can't fly everywhere anymore...too disruptive on our business here at home...
    That's understandable, I didn't know you traveled all the way across the country to do classes, that's pretty cool!
    I wish we could do another remote! It is fantastic. @K2Concepts would have to see if the demand is there for Ohio Remote #4!

I wish we could do another remote! It is fantastic. @K2Concepts would have to see if the demand is there for Ohio Remote #4!

@MidOhioHydrographics Well, I can certainly entertain the idea...