FFL

Gunsmith53Gunsmith53 Posts: 198Member ✭✭
edited February 2018 in Business
Hi everyone, this should be a question would cover the entire Country but, not all States have the same gun Laws. I know Cali is a lot stricter than Va. on gun laws. Maybe some of you guys that are closer to Va. or have the same Laws as Va. Do you think it would be unethical or seem out of the norm, to call the Agent back, since I have already opened a dialogue with him and just basically ask what they look for in a honest way? I don't know that they would come right out and say, this is what we want to see and hear or not. Just a thought. What do some of you think?
In Va. you get one visit, if something comes up you have 30 days to fix it. I would like for nothing to come up.
Post edited by Gunsmith53 on

Comments

• Gunsmith53Gunsmith53 Posts: 198Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

JIm, this should be a question for the entire Country. I know Cali is a lot stricter than Va. on gun laws. BUT, when the ATF agent comes in for the visit. What are they looking for? Or can you answer that for a different State?

Keeping in mind. Mine is a HOME Based Business. I have talked to one of the ATF agents for my area on the phone and he was some help. Seemed friendly enough but, are they just wanting to make sure you are wanting a License for business purposes and have all the proper forms, which I do. Or are they really critical of everything?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 10,219Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    What exactly are you asking? Do you already have your FFL? Or are you about to interview for one? Or what?
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,485Member ✭✭✭✭
    In my experience , they arnt going to go into a lot of detail about what u do or will be doing. NEITHER SHOULD U !!! They want you to understand how the system works and how to keep your paper work in line.

I offered them a walk through of my shop and of course they did, but didn't seem to interested in all that.

Remember there are fine lines that will put u in the manufacturing side of things. Keep the conversations brief and to the point.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,289Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    In dealing with inspectors, answer every question truthfully, but offer NO additional information.
  • GunsnGuitarsGunsnGuitars Posts: 62Member ✭✭
    Having been in the firearms business and gunsmithing for over 37 years, I can tell you that every visit by the ATF should be handled as a deposition. As stated above, answer the questions truthfully, no more, no less. Do not offer walk-arounds or draw attention to anything other than what they ask for. Keep your records in order at all times, don't even let one slide for a day. I had been in business for over 20 years before my first inspection. I was told by the agent over the phone that they would only be going back in my records about 5 years. Once they were there, they went all the way back to the beginning! I only had one 'ding' that they found, and that caused a re-visit 12 months later. Sweating and hand wringing all over again. Trouble is, there does not have to be any intent, they are black and white on the letter of the law. Words to the wise.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,289Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @GunsnGuitars Start looking around here using the Keyword "FFL" and start to see some of the misconceptions that people spouted as fact a few years ago. Its a good amusing read
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 14,095Administrator El Jefe

@GunsnGuitars Start looking around here using the Keyword "FFL" and start to see some of the misconceptions that people spouted as fact a few years ago. Its a good amusing read

This...