Opinions needed

hydrographicsindiahydrographicsindia Posts: 396Member ✭✭✭
hello everyone recently have been in a situation a couple of times where some big companies executives want to see our whole process in details before offering job work .The reason for this is they want to see quality and test on different parameters in short they ask us to let there quality team stay and see entire process in detail.
so would like to get some opinion that how do we handle something like this .I want to do the job but don’t want them to see all tricks of the trade .
what would you guys do ? I generally do not entertain there request to see our operations because of which I had to face a lot of heat at times .

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 7,289Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    You are allowed to have processes that you don't make public, but you may suffer for that in lost business. Larger companies would be familiar with NDA's or CDA's and would have very strict tour policies. They have to understand you are a small business and may not be able to have a staff of lawyers on staff to back you up.

But lets be honest... this isn't top secret information. Most of the techniques to do this are readily available online (in forums exactly like this one...) so show them how to do it, and leave out all the special stuff.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 10,219Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah... I would say they are most likely checking you out to make sure you can handle the work. I wouldn't send 10,000 parts a month to a guy dipping out of a cattle trough in his garage. The logistics just wouldn't work, and it wouild be a headache for the company. The fact that you may be able to do it may not even matter. When I licensed with some companies I had to provide photos of my shop, my tank, part storage, other equipement, etc. Professionals want to deal with professionals, and appearance goes a long way.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 14,095Administrator El Jefe
    Dip a speed shape for them and leave it at that...no need to get detailed...let them "ohhh" and "ahhh"...take them to lunch and ask for the business...
  • NWHNWH Posts: 92Member ✭✭✭
    And some times they want to come in to see a setup to determine if they themselves can do it in house.
    When we are approached with this I have my attorney draw up a NDA and in that no pictures are to be taken I limit the amount of people to no more than three and have time limit too. I am trying to run a small business and don't have time for frivolous B.S. all samples to be run will be stuff they send us.
    Also must be very careful as they may want you to sign a NDA or CDA which can limit you from doing the same type of parts that another company may want you to do.
    Also need to look at the big picture doing work for large companies always seem lucrative but can end up being a money pit i have this policy if i have to work 8hrs a day for a big oem and make the same as working for to small accounts i will take 2 small ones over a large one typically the small accounts are long term not just for the season.
  • hydrographicsindiahydrographicsindia Posts: 396Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot for you opinions out here in india mostly people visit my site to have a look inside and see how we work .Then try to setup there own operations so I have a strict no visitors beyond office policy .works for me even tough I loose some business but soon moving to a bigger space where I will design it like that no one would be able to sneak in .
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 3,527Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks a lot for you opinions out here in india mostly people visit my site to have a look inside and see how we work .Then try to setup there own operations so I have a strict no visitors beyond office policy .works for me even tough I loose some business but soon moving to a bigger space where I will design it like that no one would be able to sneak in .

Or you can set up training classes and make money off your potential competition. It works really well for some folks we know... Just charge handsomely for it though. Also, become a vendor for the products you use, then the "competition" will always be sending money your way. Are there very many hydrographic supplies vendors in your area?

edited February 2018
    @studebaker thanks a lot for the advice I am already doing as what you suggested I do trainings and charge for it . I also sell films and activator and some special paints and primers with my branding .i have a online store and amazon store which is doing ok some sales are coming . But there are a lot of people who have visited my place thinking they get something out of me without paying anything .
    For some reason everyone think it’s the easiest and most profitable bussiness on the planet and they can learn just from YouTube then why pay so I have to be very careful . Sometimes they expect that they buy some 10 meter film from me some activator and now I am bound to make them a expert for free :)
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 3,527Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the update. If I'd been more diligent in my research, I would have known that already! Excellent website, by the way. You will go far in this business. How have you experiments gone with your custom film printing gone?
    @studebaker thanks you made my day I made my website on my own .custom printing is right now a side project didn’t get the right activator ink combo till now but will surely do it soon .right now focus is on job work have a lot of orders trying to setup a very professional high volume production facility.
    @studebaker here is video link to the dipping tanks we make and sell cheap and good 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/IZpvh0d985jGUVEL2