Dip window.. — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dip window..

Sac_HydroSac_Hydro Posts: 1,050Member ✭✭✭✭
This is a question I should prolly know the answer to but I can honestly say I don't.
What is the result of missing the dipping window??
I am pretty good about making sure we dip 2-6 hours after painting. But sometimes chit happens..
What I don't know is what is supposed to be the result in waiting too long?
I dipped a couple parts for my boat last week that I painted a month ago.. Solvent based automotive paint, no issues? So what am I missing??
My thought is the paint would be cured and pattern wouldn't stick.. Not the case. So enlighten me please!

Comments

• onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,682Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    some solvent based paints (especially store-bought rattlecans) will air harden, and "close" the pores of the paint, not allowing clear coat or film to stick. Sounds like yours remained open.
  • MasterjqxMasterjqx Posts: 990Member ✭✭✭
    the dip window differs from the paint you use.
  • GSPGSP Posts: 257Member ✭✭✭
    there can be a lot of variables. humidity and temperature is a huge part of the paint taking longer to cure, or close its pores like jay said. If your not sure just scuff it and throw another coat on top of the original base, you have another option, One Hit Wonder Paint where if you don't dip in the 18 month window it gives you, you probably weren't going to dip it anyway. just my 2 pennies
  • Sac_HydroSac_Hydro Posts: 1,050Member ✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate all the comments Thank you.. I would just think over the past few years, somewhere I would have run across an issue.. If someone has a pic of a dip with a window related issue I would love to see it.. Thanks
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,961Administrator El Jefe
    It's not unlike applying too much activator... Just runs off...
  • DallenDallen Posts: 1,692Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    I had it happen with Omni paint one time I painted a forarm for a ar then had to leave for 2 hours came back dipped it looked good went to rinse film just came off, scuffed rebased dipped in 30 minutes went good learned if you use that paint to dip as soon as you can touch it
  • TNLiquidImagingTNLiquidImaging Posts: 16Member
    I have primarily used nason paint and not found any issues with a dip window. I have dipped speed shapes that were based months ago.
  • beats396beats396 Posts: 9Member
    Any good solvent based basecoat has a very large window, as long as it's kept clean, and kept out of sunlight, you have almost as long as you'd like to dip it.
  • SmittySmitty Posts: 731Member ✭✭✭✭
    Puddle of fail
  • Sac_HydroSac_Hydro Posts: 1,050Member ✭✭✭✭
    beats396 said:

Any good solvent based basecoat has a very large window, as long as it's kept clean, and kept out of sunlight, you have almost as long as you'd like to dip it.

I am a firm believer of that statement as solvent based automotive paint is about all use and I am yet to see a dip window issue..

• TopCoatsTopCoats Posts: 238Member ✭✭✭
    What about clear coat? Most solvent based paints I've used say to clear in less than 16 hours.
  • Five-oh HydroFive-oh Hydro Posts: 31Member
    This paint part is my main problem. I'm still learning. Im really not confident in taking suggestions with paint it seems that I have not found any paint that didnt work. Ive even used gloss rattle can paint and dipped some parts with it and they turned out good( not that I will do that again). I just want a good brand of paint that works and I can buy locally. I just wish I had a OHW store near me because I cant pay that shipping..
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,961Administrator El Jefe
    Smitty said:

Puddle of fail

Shush...
  • OBeeOBee Posts: 22Member
    As long as there is no hardener added to the paint your dip window is huge! Weeks to months!!!If you use hardener you have 24 hours to dip.
    5-0, we're working on possible HI distribution at the moment
  • LAKES_HYDROPRINTLAKES_HYDROPRINT Posts: 245Member ✭✭
    OBee said:

As long as there is no hardener added to the paint your dip window is huge! Weeks to months!!!If you use hardener you have 24 hours to dip.

If you don't use hardner how soon can you dip?
  • CARBONCONCEPTSCARBONCONCEPTS Posts: 83Member ✭✭
    Check you data sheets people, i would follow the recoat guidelines for dip windows, however the sooner the better.
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 974Member ✭✭✭

5-0, we're working on possible HI distribution at the moment

How did you distribution work out? If your paint was more local, I would use it instead of what I am using now. But the shipping is killer.

• danutlupudanutlupu Posts: 14Member
    And if we dip directly over 2k epoxy primer, which would be the window of time ?
    Wow - 1 hour maybe at most
  • W3GW3G Posts: 36Member
    Anyone have feedback on Matrix paint window?
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 974Member ✭✭✭
    Not sure which base you are using from them, but here is a good place to start. You shoul dbe able to find what you need here.

http://matrixsystem.com/tech.php
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,089Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @W3G as long as the paint is "open" you should be good. So the recoat or clear coat window for the paint would be my max limit. Normally we say 8 hours for auto paints, but I would do some speed shape samples and see what you find.