Filters

RadicalSideHydroRadicalSideHydro Posts: 588Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
Which way should these exhaust plenum filters go. 

Comments

• BadaBingHydroGraphixBadaBingHydroGraphix Posts: 186Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    My guess would be white side toward you to keep the looser filament from going out the stack eventually. Nice booth by the way @RadicalSideHydro
  • RadicalSideHydroRadicalSideHydro Posts: 588Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,533Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Tacky side (yellow) is the last line of defense against particles. The loose filament is there to knock the dirt out of the air before it clogs up the denser area of the filter. Installing it yellow side out will load up that surface and 90% of the filter goes unused.

Air enters open side, air leaves tacified side
    Ok gotcha so on the outide doors the tacky should be facing in as well? @WileECoyote thanks for the help
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,472Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @WileECoyote See, I thought the same thing... Then I read the description here:
    http://boothfilterstore.com/22-gram-fiberglass-spray-arrestor-pads.html

"Bright yellow, highly visible color provides added spray booth illumination while maintaining optimal airflow."
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,443Administrator El Jefe
    Actually it's the colored side out...
    Ok cool 
  • hlwpthlwpt Posts: 88Member, Business Ninja ✭✭
    Color side out from which direction! Perspective man! :)

So, should the yellow face the inside of the booth or outside of the spray area? Or is it oriented differently for the filter doors vs. the filter wall inside the booth... Something so simple turned confusing.

The way the site midohio posted reads, you would face the yellow towards the inside of the booth regardless of doors or wall. But, white would reflect the most light, so I am not sure why they would say it would brighten the booth with the yellow...
  • hlwpthlwpt Posts: 88Member, Business Ninja ✭✭
    I agree with wile coyote, that the air should be pulled through the white material first, but what do I know ;)
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,533Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

"Bright yellow, highly visible color provides added spray booth illumination while maintaining optimal airflow."

Correct, because the yellow would be inside the booth. That's what helps with illumination.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,472Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Correct, because the yellow would be inside the booth. That's what helps with illumination.
    But these are exhaust filters, since it talks about paint holding capacity. So the flow would be from yellow, to white.

Actually it's the colored side out...

I guess I have to clarify. I am assuming the yellow is a "tacky" substance that is sprayed on the filter, and not just a color for identification, or "illumination". You can also look at the filter media and see multiple layers of different density, unless its a cheaper filter. The more dense material is on the "air leaving" side.

@K2Concepts I actually had to bring some litigation against a new HVAC company that installed the prefilters wrong on our booths, with the tackified side on the "air entering" side. The filters clogged up tight within 4 weeks, when they are designed to last 6 months.

Polyester Pad | MFG: Fiberbond

Fiberbond ~ Polyester Media ~ Depth Loading: The airlaid principle of Fiberbond media is to randomly disperse fibers in all directions throughout the web. This forms a uniform media of high strength and durability. A high volume of contaminants can be trapped within the complete depth of fiber. ~ FP Series of tackified media have a uniform coating of tackifier on all fibers in the blue air leaving side of the media. Dirt trapped in the media is held tight by the tackifier. The tackifier cannot migrate since it is part of the fiber spray bonding process during manufacturing of the filter media.
    edited May 2016

But these are exhaust filters, since it talks about paint holding capacity. So the flow would be from yellow, to white.
    Actually, those filters are not like any exhaust filters I have seen. Those look like intake filters to me. If you look at the picture, you can see the density difference in the white vs yellow side. The loose filter material is always the air entering side. Any of the exhaust filters I have seen have no tackification to them, only density difference. There is no need for the yellow because you are not concerned with fine particulate going out your exhaust stack. Only coming into your booth and landing on your part.
    edited May 2016

Actually, those filters are not like any exhaust filters I have seen. Those look like intake filters to me. If you look at the picture, you can see the density difference in the white vs yellow side. The loose filter material is always the air entering side. Any of the exhaust filters I have seen have no tackification to them, only density difference. There is no need for the yellow because you are not concerned with fine particulate going out your exhaust stack. Only coming into your booth and landing on your part.
    I know!!! I thought the exact same thing!!! LOL. But, alas... that's how they're advertised on the website.

I actually have a few boxes of these in my loft. LOL