Base coat melt!?!?

Ok so I have over activated before and had the pattern run, but I just did a piece and the Base coat started running too!?! Anyone had this issue before? I did use automotive paint.

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,537Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    What do you mean by automotive paint? A 2K urethane? Then it wasn't cured.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,475Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah could be an incompatible paint, paint not cured or mixed properly, or you just severely over activated.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,444Administrator El Jefe
    All the above...
  • airtimegrafixairtimegrafix Posts: 2,144Member ✭✭✭✭
    what they said!!! pluss more info on paint!!
  • challenger_rt_moechallenger_rt_moe Posts: 7Member
    It's ppg paint, Silverthorne 1k coating.get it from the local autopaint store. Haven't had issues with it before and let it set for 2 days before I could actually get around to dipping. I was able to get a good dip and everything looked good until I went to clear it and now it's doing it again.
  • ShannonShannon Posts: 182Member ✭✭✭
    Ive had similar issues in the past using 1k paints, some batches just seemed like they would ‘melt’ once in contact with activator. Since I’ve swapped over to 2k I haven’t had the same problem again.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,537Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Aerosol is inconsistent. Use it at your own risk. We can't help you if you do.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,475Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Too much solvent hitting your base and reacting in that pic. You put clear on too heavy too fast and it knuckled your base. IF you're using aerosol clear, you were likely too close to the part and putting too much down.