China Hydro dip factory — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

China Hydro dip factory

RaceCityRaceCity Posts: 16Member
Just got back from China trip for business and visited a Hydro Dip factory.

They were dipping carbon fiber on grills.

The factory was 40 degrees with the windows wide open.

They had one big tank no pump or heater.

They employ about 40 people and make it look easy.

I took some video and pictures I will share if the group is interested.

Comments

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,147Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Sure. Let's see them.
  • RaceCityRaceCity Posts: 16Member
    They make it look simple
  • dirtbagdavdirtbagdav Posts: 93Member
    How about the videos...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,932Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @RaceCity the crazy thing is? The process actually is very simple once you figure it out, especially if you're dipping the same things all the time in the same pattern. We dip thousands of parts per week with very, very low percentage of bad dips/mistakes. When we get custom jobs in? That percentage goes way up. They just have their process figured out, so it looks easy. Ever watch someone finish drywall then try and do it yourself? All depends on what you get good at. They just know how long the soak needs to be in the cool water, how to stagger their films, how to lay their paint and clear in cool weather, etc.

Take note of how many pieces of film you can put on the water... Nobody says you have to do one at a time. This mindset of Efficiency and very little wasted time is what is needed for production and profitability.

VERY cool to see and thank you very much for sharing!
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,847Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RaceCity THANK YOU for sharing the pictures! Cold water just extends the hydration time. It looks like they are using the cold to their advantage, with so many patterns laying on the water...
  • Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 801Member ✭✭✭
    In for the video
  • AlanAlan Posts: 192Member ✭✭✭

@RaceCity THANK YOU for sharing the pictures! Cold water just extends the hydration time. It looks like they are using the cold to their advantage, with so many patterns laying on the water...

I'll wager the water isn't that cold. The OP said it was 40 degrees (I'll assume Celsius!) with the windows open in that factory. A lot of the hydrographic factories in China are in the south, where it's sub-tropical. They have water storage tanks erected on the top of their flat roofs and that water, when it comes down, can be very hot after being heated by the sun. I can't stand under our bathroom shower during the afternoon ... it's just too unbearably hot! (roof-top storage tank, again).
    So, I think there's no need for these Chinese hydrographic companies to install water heaters.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,932Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    May have been 40 Celsius, but that's 104F. The man is wearing a coat. Doubt it was 104F in there.
  • AlanAlan Posts: 192Member ✭✭✭

May have been 40 Celsius, but that's 104F. The man is wearing a coat. Doubt it was 104F in there.

You might have a point there about the coat! =) Maybe it was 40 Fahrenheit ... RaceCity did say he'd just got back = January, so yeah..

• RaceCityRaceCity Posts: 16Member
    I travel to China often and it was winter time. The temperature in the factory was 40 degrees. Also my guess on the water temp. was around 60-70 degrees. Remember in the US we speak in Fahrenheit
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,761Administrator El Jefe
    REAL TALK!...you PREACH!...

Brother I would LOVE to sit down with you and have a beer...you are one of the ones who "gets it"...wish you were sticking around and not selling your business...
  • ShannonShannon Posts: 78Member ✭✭
    edited January 12
    I live in the tropics of Australia in North Queensland, the other day it was in the mid 40’s degrees Celsius. I had the great idea of turning my tank into an ice bath to try a slow the soak time to at least 45 seconds
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,761Administrator El Jefe
    Yea that's pretty warm...and yes we have had to do that when it was 125 in the desert...