Elk Skull Dip — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elk Skull Dip

Hey guys, I'm working on a euro mount for a client and he is looking for an aged copper or oil rubbed bronze. Anyone have any idea on how to accomplish this type of finish? I will send post photos if I find some.

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,817Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Hmmm.... difficult. There are some patina type films that @studebaker has (as well as the other custom printers). Using one of those over a metallic gold would probably get you where you need to be.
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,766Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is better for this job... Paint it bronze and rub this darker color in. http://www.michaels.com/rub-n-buff-wax-metallic-finish/M10183569.html Don't cleat coat, just wax and post pictures when finished!
  • bfalesbfales Posts: 9Member
    Any ideas on an aged copper look that has the distressed blue and copper colors in it?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,750Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I think you will be better served with a paint, rather than a film. Aged copper is basically green paint, and some techniques. Pinterest must have about 10,000 women salivating at the chance to try it on something else.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,817Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Check out Spartan Worn Cerakote. You can do the same thing w regular paints. Use a bronze, distress with black and then highlight recesses w a Tiffany/Robin’s Egg Blue and distress down again. Use fine sandpaper or a scotch brite. Like all techniques, be sure to practice a couple times. It’s not difficult. Using paint is different that Cerakote you may want to clear between, or allow the paint to fully cure between colors, maybe partially cure... you’ll have to experiment.
  • versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 165Member ✭✭✭
    For oil rubbed, we paint a gold/copper color down then paint a brownish black on top of that. Then wet sand along the edges and anywhere else you want the gold to rub through and clear. Works awesome, I ended up doing a couple of my house doors like this because the wife had to have that look......

I would do the same for the copper, paint a couple extra coats of the copper color then use a touch up gun with the greenish color to make random spots that could be easily sanded to fade out or blotch with a little reducer. And add a little black with an airbrush to give it a realistic look.