Issues with cylindrical objects — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Issues with cylindrical objects

I have been doing this for a short while. Flat items are not a problem at this point (working small first). The problem is doing a baseball bat. My offspring thought this would be the envy of his teammates. I have tried on a few garage sale bats.

I can't seem to get the two sides to wrap around all the time. Water is pulling ahead of the ink.
I hydrate the film for a minute thirty 1:30 at 90°, spray( maybe too heavy?) wait 25-30 seconds then dip slowly from one end at about a 35° angle. You see my results.
I've only seen a couple of vids on bats , but there is no explaining how to get results.
Id appreciate all positive advise,thanks

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,509Member ✭✭✭✭
    I personally roll my bats. I wouldn't dip straight down on an angle although some might. I roll as if i was doing a stainless cup
  • GmanGman Posts: 5Member
    The bats have been cleaned, painted then sanded. The film has been taped on two sides and have tried taping all four sides. Using dams to contain the film.
    Have u tried rolling or always just going in straight on an angle
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,081Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yep, Those are too large to get a complete wrap. You can try going faster so the water doesn't beat you. But that large end of the bat is probably going to be too large. Roll it.
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,310Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Gman, just curious why you're sanding after painting? Are you not using paint designed for this process?
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,161Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Watch some videos on how to roll the part. Start one end into the water, then lower the other end until it is flat and about half way submerged. Them roll the part away from you into the film. Roll into the film, don't spin it in place. This will cause stretching. Yeti tumblers are done this way. There are lots of videos showing these.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,946Administrator El Jefe

Yep, Those are too large to get a complete wrap. You can try going faster so the water doesn't beat you. But that large end of the bat is probably going to be too large. Roll it.

This...
    Thanks for the advise. I tried rolling one tonight and the results were not good. I had film pulling and overlapping. First try , I'm going to buy a few larger dowels and work with them until I can get my technique in check. I have seen bats that have been dipped not rolled and they look amazing. I just need to work on how I handle the bats. Does my time/ temp seem ok ? I have watched and practiced the spraying technique as I said flat stuff not an issue
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,081Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Gman said:

I have seen bats that have been dipped not rolled and they look amazing.

How certain are you of this? Have any photos of said bats? If they look amazing, how do you know they aren’t rolled?

Gman said:

I have seen bats that have been dipped not rolled and they look amazing.

How certain are you of this? Have any photos of said bats? If they look amazing, how do you know they aren’t rolled?
    This...a rolled pattern always looks better than a "straight in" dip...at least if it's done correctly...
    I've done bats both ways rolled and straight down on a 45 quick. Everyone I did straight down I redid after learning how to roll. The seam is so much better and a overall better look. I haven't seen to many cylinder items that look better going straight in than rolling. Gun barrels are an exception but besides that roll away
    Here are some of the bats that were dipped not rolled

I caught the light reflection . That's what the white lines are. But the bats are tight lined and have no distortions
    Hmm...I remain skeptical...never seen anyone get that straight of a line on a straight in dip...BUT if you insist? Carry on...they are better at it than I am...
    Those are rolled. The skull in the last photo isn’t stretched at all near the seam. That’s impossible. Same with the rest of the patterns. Unless they’re extremely good at moving the dams together as they dip (maybe)...
    Yep no possible way those were dipped straight in. They are rolled. Even with another person moving in the dams would be simply amazing to see with as good as the seams look on those
    The tight lines and no distortion is what tells you that they are not straight in dipped but rolled