Clear coat problems

i just finished an absolute perfect deer skull . When I put clear coat on , it basically burned pin size holes all over the film , changed the colors , and just ruined the whole thing .

Comments

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,207Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Pics please?

Let me guess... Aerosol clear? If so, you sprayed the first coat too close to the skull and the propellant burned the film.
  • Stylze75Stylze75 Posts: 5Member
    Really ? Never heard of that . Didn’t think I did anything diffferent , but maybe I did . I’d say I was a good 10 inches away . Is that too close ? Any other pointers on this or any advice on clear coats I could use to avoid this ? Thank u NotSoFast
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,611Member ✭✭✭✭
    Spray aerosol in light coats. If u put it on heavy it will do the same thing as well. 
    And if you put an @ in front of the name it will alert them so you put @NotSoFast
    Ok thanks @DeviousDips .
    @Stylze75 no problem 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,261Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yep. It's a fairly common problem. Dust on a few very light coats to seal it. Once you have a good base, then you can go heavier and make it glassy. Overall, even am somewhat low quality HVLP gun is going to be worlds above aerosol for clear coat application. Consider the LVLP guns from One Hit Wonder. They can be run off a small compressor. If you already have a large enough compressor, get an HVLP. Something like the Starting Line kit from Devilbiss is a decent priced starter kit for paint and clear.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,146Administrator El Jefe
    What he said...well everything but the Starting Line...not worth a trash can to throw them in...
    Thank u all  . I do have a small compressor and may have to make that move . I was trying to keep everything simple for now . Redoing all my dips is not very simple however . Nice input ...@K2Concepts....@MidOhioHydrographics
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,146Administrator El Jefe
    YOu can always invest in some ANI mini guns...really nice and they will run off a small compressor...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,261Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I didn’t say Starting Line’s were great either, just decent priced. It’s just a step up from a Harbor Freight And way above the aerosol...
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,718Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭