Choosing the right heating element for a plastic (Tote) tank

UptonSpoonUptonSpoon Posts: 554Member ✭✭✭
I am looking around for the right parts for my home build tank put of an IBC Tote.
I thing I have three options which are:-
Dangle in 2 x Fish tank Heater like this but obtaining the right temps.
Dangle in a 40 c Pond de-icer
OR
Drill a hole and fir some kind of threaded inner tube that takes a full on Immersion heater coil

I know that all three have been used by others in their own home builds but I don't know which is the best to achieve the shortest warm up time or if drilling into a tote is feasible. I know Kansas did it to a fiber glass lined tote but mine isn't lined.
When you see the prices in the amazon links don't forget that £1 = $2 or thereabouts :-)

Maybe there are other options I have not considered.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Regards
Tony

Comments

• LiquidDreamsLiquidDreams Posts: 250Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    How are you going to plumb the pump. If you are going to have an external run of pipe check out the inline 5500w spa heater CuttingEdge posted in the Rapid Heating Setup thread. It may be just what you need. You can even wire one of those to a PID.
  • UptonSpoonUptonSpoon Posts: 554Member ✭✭✭
    I was planning on using a dirty water submersible pump attached to in line piping.
  • MasterjqxMasterjqx Posts: 990Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    My small 1 meter tank i started in was heated by 3 75 gallon fish tank heaters, it kept the water at 89 deg. surround your tank with foam to insulate it to keep the heat in. also make sure the internals of your trash pump are stainless, i used a trash pump before i bought a 1 hp pool pump, the internals were steel and rusted, as you can see it would be a problem with rust water coming out of the jets.

if you spend the extra 10$ for the more expensive fish tank heaters they have adjustable thermostats on the top, just turn it to 90 drop them in and let it go!, i recomend to leave them plugged in 24/7 as it took about 12 hrs to heat up the water...
  • 1shane1shane Posts: 171Member ✭✭✭
    I ordered bucket heaters off of amazon hang them in pull out while dipping then drop right back in when done. sucks but work with what you got. I put an ad on craigs list for hot tub parts and had alot of calls same day so been collecting parts for a better bigger build
  • Audiofreak19Audiofreak19 Posts: 280Member ✭✭
    Upton. Have u cut the top off the tank yet. Also are you doing anything to reinforce the metal cage around the tank. I ask cause my dad had a ibc tote at his work that was being used to transport liquids and the metal cage was bowing outward like t wasn't holding the water.
    Audio, no not yet still cleaning the junk out of it. ALSo I only have week ends to plat at the moment. The top of the cage will be reinforced with a 10" stainless steel strips to form a brace like the outside of a tv set looks. Also I will reinforce the cage with a rachet system like lorry (Truck) drivers use to hold parts on the back down safe.
    1shane said:

I ordered bucket heaters off of amazon hang them in pull out while dipping then drop right back in when done. sucks but work with what you got. I put an ad on craigs list for hot tub parts and had alot of calls same day so been collecting parts for a better bigger build

How will you use the hot tub parts Shane, the ones I have seen have a water inlet, outlet and a hot air blower?

edited March 2014
    I'm leaning towards these two items

toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=38614
    and

tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/IH330CTC.html

Does anyone know of a reason that it won't be suitable please?
  • kansashydrokansashydro Posts: 851Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took these pictures for you today @uptonspoon outside and inside of tank.
    edited March 2014
    Thank you for doing that for me Brent, yours is a plastic flange. Cool, I really appreciate the guidance.
  • BIGGAME510BIGGAME510 Posts: 295Member ✭✭
    hey master how much does that cost to leave ur tank heater on 24/7
  • RedneckrayRedneckray Posts: 218Member ✭✭
    I have a 300 gal tank and I bought a heater for a fish tank, 800w and set the thermostat at 90 degrees and within 1 day[8 hrs] it was up to temp and has stayed there since.
  • sat-hydrographicssat-hydrographics Posts: 205Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @WileECoyote told me, that a heater in the dip-area is a "no no". Causes bubbles under the film.
  • sat-hydrographicssat-hydrographics Posts: 205Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Sorry, i have seen too late that threat is quite 1 year old
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,380Administrator El Jefe
    Yes it can...some guys just turn them off when dipping...I imagine you can just pull out a fish heater when you are ready to dip...
    My TAnk has a proper heating element, encased in a cnc'd container. I have a fish tank heater in my shoe box sized test tank for custom film testing and indeed have to do as @K2Concepts
  • rcmantjkrcmantjk Posts: 99Member ✭✭

I am looking around for the right parts for my home build tank put of an IBC Tote.
    I thing I have three options which are:-
    Dangle in 2 x Fish tank Heater like this but obtaining the right temps.
    Dangle in a 40 c Pond de-icer
    OR
    Drill a hole and fir some kind of threaded inner tube that takes a full on Immersion heater coil

I know that all three have been used by others in their own home builds but I don't know which is the best to achieve the shortest warm up time or if drilling into a tote is feasible. I know Kansas did it to a fiber glass lined tote but mine isn't lined.
    When you see the prices in the amazon links don't forget that £1 = $2 or thereabouts :-)

Maybe there are other options I have not considered.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Tony

A floating cattle tank heater would work great for what you're wanting to do!! Available at any farm & fleet type store!!!
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,475Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @rcmantjk I assume it works great till you get some tape and film inside of it...
  • baconbacon Posts: 72Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    @WileECoyote I've seen you mention spa heaters a few times for these totes,  How would you plumb in a spa heater?

I was curious is something like this would work?
    http://www.hottubwarehouse.com/universal-heater-assembly-c2550-5000-1?gclid=CjwKEAiArvTFBRCLq5-7-MSJ0jMSJABHBvp0KXqqb6pcscQwAmSpTwAKYuFay_nSLkM56XrkBErcuBoCjpPw_wcB
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,475Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yep, that would work. You place it in the supply for your spray bar. That comes off after the filter and also draws off sub surface to the water... Less trash.

@rcmantjk I assume it works great till you get some tape and film inside of it...

Nah, no amount of gunk would affect a floating cattle tank heater!!! We use them on the farm during the winter for the stock cattle and you wouldn't belive the amount of gunk that gets accumulated on them from all the cattle!!! A floating cattle tank heater is a floating disc about 10" across by about 2" thick with a heating coil underneath kinda like a coil you cook on on an electric stove. and that sucker gets hot!!!! I've burnt myself on cattle tank heaters when they've been pulled out of the water. Only problem the more I think about is this, they have a built in regulator that only lets them get the water in the tank so warm. I'm thinking the shut-off for them is below the 90 degree ideal temp???

Yep, that would work. You place it in the supply for your spray bar. That comes off after the filter and also draws off sub surface to the water... Less trash.

CATTLETANK HEATER

• Wild_BillWild_Bill Posts: 68Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    This bucket heater has no thermal shutoff,... I insert it through my foam lid so it's suspended in the water but not totally submerged to prevent accidental short out. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61r16XKrd5L._SL1500_.jpg Allied Precision The Premier Line 742G Bucket Water Heater